DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   DW Hook up (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/dw-hook-up-20399/)

cibula11 04-28-2008 10:01 AM

DW Hook up
 
Our old DW had a plug, but our new one does not. It just has black and white wires. Do I need to install install a plug or remove the receptacle and extend the wiring from the wall?

If I need a cord, what do I use for that?

jrclen 04-28-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cibula11 (Post 119589)
Our old DW had a plug, but our new one does not. It just has black and white wires. Do I need to install install a plug or remove the receptacle and extend the wiring from the wall?

If I need a cord, what do I use for that?

First thing, look in the instructions which came with the new DW and see if it is approved for use with a cord and plug. If so, use the cord from the old one, or buy a heavy duty appliance cord.

I usually provide a switch in place of the receptacle, and then hard wire the unit from the new switch. If a garbage disposal is also plugged in there, I use a switch/receptacle combo device.

cibula11 04-28-2008 10:33 AM

The DW is used from a friend. So I don't have the instructions. Could I just extend the wiring from the wall and hardwire it in the junction box on the underneath side of the DW. The garabage disposal and the DW are not really that close and use a seperate outlet.
Can I just use 12/2 romex and add a plug to it?

jbfan 04-28-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cibula11 (Post 119597)
The DW is used from a friend. So I don't have the instructions. Could I just extend the wiring from the wall and hardwire it in the junction box on the underneath side of the DW. The garabage disposal and the DW are not really that close and use a seperate outlet.
Can I just use 12/2 romex and add a plug to it?

NO! You can not add a plug to romex. I would go to a hardware store and by a heavy duty appliance cord like JR suggested.

cibula11 04-28-2008 12:02 PM

The dish washer does not appear to have a groud wire in this junction box underneath it. It just has a white and black wire. Is this still okay to install an appliance cord?

jrclen 04-28-2008 12:14 PM

Like jbfan mentioned, you cannot attach a plug to romex. You can hardwire it with romex, or buy a proper cordset at the hardware store.

jrclen 04-28-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cibula11 (Post 119614)
The dish washer does not appear to have a groud wire in this junction box underneath it. It just has a white and black wire. Is this still okay to install an appliance cord?

There should be a screw inside the junction box to connect the ground wire to. It is very important to ground the dishwasher.

cibula11 04-28-2008 09:52 PM

I went to the store to find a replacement cord. The only appliance replacement cord they had was a 16 gauge cord. They had some HUSKY tool replacement cords that were 14 gauge. Will the 16 gauge be okay. I was confused, because there was nothing higher than 16.
Is it possible to cut the female end off of an appliance extension cord and use that? They had those in 14 and 12 gauges.

jrclen 04-29-2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cibula11 (Post 119761)
I went to the store to find a replacement cord. The only appliance replacement cord they had was a 16 gauge cord. They had some HUSKY tool replacement cords that were 14 gauge. Will the 16 gauge be okay. I was confused, because there was nothing higher than 16.
Is it possible to cut the female end off of an appliance extension cord and use that? They had those in 14 and 12 gauges.

You went to the wrong store. :laughing: No, I wouldn't use a 16ga cord. 14ga minimum. 12ga is what I would use. I have seen guys cut a 12ga extension cord and use that. But that is not UL listed for the purpose. Make a few calls to find the proper appliance cord for a DW. Or hardwire it in.

cibula11 04-29-2008 11:56 AM

Wouldn't it be just as easy to extend the receptacle (making it a junction box) with 14/2 or 12/2 wiring and hardwire the DW?
If this is acceptable do I use 14/2 or 12/2. I'm guessing the wire coming into the receptacle is 14/2, so I'm not sure if you can mix 12/2 and 14/2??

cibula11 04-29-2008 03:43 PM

Ultimately I am going to have make some kind of connection....I'm just trying to figure out what you all would do.?

jrclen 04-29-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cibula11 (Post 119867)
Wouldn't it be just as easy to extend the receptacle (making it a junction box) with 14/2 or 12/2 wiring and hardwire the DW?
If this is acceptable do I use 14/2 or 12/2. I'm guessing the wire coming into the receptacle is 14/2, so I'm not sure if you can mix 12/2 and 14/2??

Yes it would be easy to extend romex to the DW from the box as you mentioned. If the existing circuit is 15 amp, you can use either 12 or 14 wire. If the circuit is 20 amp, you must use 12 ga. How about putting a switch in place of the receptacle and then hardwiring the DW with the switch in the circuit? That is what I would do.

chris75 04-29-2008 11:32 PM

I personally would just install an appliance cord on the DW and call it done.

jrclen 04-30-2008 09:14 AM

I agree with you Chris. :thumbsup:

pcampbell 05-07-2008 05:52 PM

Could you explain if we hardwire, how does the wire from DW to wall box, "pass" through the wall, into the wall box? Do you leave the wall box uncovered? Wall plate cover with NM clamp?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.