Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I'm trying a visual trick with the windows. The entire basement is mostly below grade and without window wells so the windows are only 12 inchest tall and very close to the ceiling. I'm lowering the window opening on the inside of the wall and putting wood shutter/blinds up to cover the lower part of the opening. In between the block wall and the wodden shutter/blinds I'm installing a floresent light to simulate daylight. This way you will be able to clearly see out of the top of the opening through the window but the bottom part of the opening will obstructed by the blinds, you will also not be able to see the bottom of the window frame so it will appear that the window extends all the way to the bottom of the opening.

I'm looking for a way to have the light come on at dawn
and go off at dusk to mimic daylight. I don't want to use a timer becasue I'd have to change it too often, and I've only been able to find dusk/dawn sensors that turn on at night and off at first light.

Dose anyone know of such a device or has anyone attempted this before?

MoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


deleted
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe View Post
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I'm trying a visual trick with the windows. The entire basement is mostly below grade and without window wells so the windows are only 12 inchest tall and very close to the ceiling. I'm lowering the window opening on the inside of the wall and putting wood shutter/blinds up to cover the lower part of the opening. In between the block wall and the wodden shutter/blinds I'm installing a floresent light to simulate daylight. This way you will be able to clearly see out of the top of the opening through the window but the bottom part of the opening will obstructed by the blinds, you will also not be able to see the bottom of the window frame so it will appear that the window extends all the way to the bottom of the opening.

I'm looking for a way to have the light come on at dawn
and go off at dusk to mimic daylight. I don't want to use a timer becasue I'd have to change it too often, and I've only been able to find dusk/dawn sensors that turn on at night and off at first light.

Dose anyone know of such a device or has anyone attempted this before?


Last edited by acetek1; 01-02-2007 at 05:54 AM.
acetek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 682
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


Any photo cell or photo eye will work. They are available at almost any place that sells electrical parts, including the big box stores.
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,864
Rewards Points: 2,032
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


Deleted
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.

Last edited by Speedy Petey; 01-02-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 682
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


MoJo, I missed the part about needing to reverse the logic so that the lights come on in the day time.

I would run the photo eye through a control relay to change the logic.

Google RIB relay look for SPDT this is a bit more complex in wiring, but will give you good long lasting results.

If you like I can do up a wiring diagram. Let me know.
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


deleted

quote=Speedy Petey;28367]acetek, so nice of you to make your first post a BLATANT advertisement.

Also, the OP is in Maryland. That is in the US if your weren't sure. Do you think it would make ANY sense for him to buy electrical products from the UK???? Especially considering you guys are 3500 miles away and use a different system than us???

I guess that doesn't matter, as long as your advertisement is out there.



How about a mod delete that post? And then mine.[/quote]

Last edited by acetek1; 01-02-2007 at 05:55 AM.
acetek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,864
Rewards Points: 2,032
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


I guess you did not read the TOS when you joined:

http://www.diychatroom.com/faq.php?f...aq_advertising

Advertising Rules

Forum Advertising Rules:

The rules regarding our advertising policies are pretty simple. You are not allowed to advertise on this site unless you pay for a banner ad. If you are interested in purchasing a banner ad please Contact Us.

* Participants may not post any messages that are commercial by nature.
* Participants may not publish or discuss any information regarding their product or services, or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with. This includes, but not limited to suggesting your own services, or services of partners, clients, employers or friends.
* Participants may not post any message that directs others to any pages at their own commercial web site, including informational pages.
* Participants may not direct others to contact them regarding their product or services or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with.
* Participants may not solicit the membership for feedback or suggestions on their product or services.
* Participants may not solicit users for any project or purpose external to the forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Further; If you SPAM our members in any manner, your account will be disabled.
* Participants may only discuss details about their company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to their company and stated something untrue or misleading, or something which clearly needs clarifying. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable when in the above scenario to contact us first.
* Participants may not include their company name as part of their username unless you are a local contractor and not selling anything to our members .
* Exception: These rules do not apply to local contractors wishing to discuss their businesses, use their business name as their username, or link to their own companies websites. The key is that you must not be selling products or services to contractors or homeowners.
* Exception: Users may link to commercial or informational sites as long as you have no vested interest in doing so. Example, someone posts a link to a new tool that they are using or to a leads service they have had success with. We are just trying to stop SELF PROMOTION and not valid discussions. We reserve the right to delete any message that we are unsure of its intentions.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


I have deleted every thing. Sorry for the missunderstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I guess you did not read the TOS when you joined:

http://www.diychatroom.com/faq.php?f...aq_advertising

Advertising Rules

Forum Advertising Rules:

The rules regarding our advertising policies are pretty simple. You are not allowed to advertise on this site unless you pay for a banner ad. If you are interested in purchasing a banner ad please Contact Us.

* Participants may not post any messages that are commercial by nature.
* Participants may not publish or discuss any information regarding their product or services, or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with. This includes, but not limited to suggesting your own services, or services of partners, clients, employers or friends.
* Participants may not post any message that directs others to any pages at their own commercial web site, including informational pages.
* Participants may not direct others to contact them regarding their product or services or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with.
* Participants may not solicit the membership for feedback or suggestions on their product or services.
* Participants may not solicit users for any project or purpose external to the forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Further; If you SPAM our members in any manner, your account will be disabled.
* Participants may only discuss details about their company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to their company and stated something untrue or misleading, or something which clearly needs clarifying. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable when in the above scenario to contact us first.
* Participants may not include their company name as part of their username unless you are a local contractor and not selling anything to our members .
* Exception: These rules do not apply to local contractors wishing to discuss their businesses, use their business name as their username, or link to their own companies websites. The key is that you must not be selling products or services to contractors or homeowners.
* Exception: Users may link to commercial or informational sites as long as you have no vested interest in doing so. Example, someone posts a link to a new tool that they are using or to a leads service they have had success with. We are just trying to stop SELF PROMOTION and not valid discussions. We reserve the right to delete any message that we are unsure of its intentions.
acetek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


To get a realisic effect and this is something i tried when i was working in design in the office lighting industry in the UK. You firstly need to position your a lighting rig on a wall at window height. The lighting should contain 8 x T8 fluorescent lamps. 4 of the lamps should have a colour temperature of 6500k (north light colour) the other four should be run on dimmable electronic ballasts with a colour temperature of 2700k (warm white). Place a diffusing sheet of opal acrylic in front of the lamps. Place a white slatted blind in front of the whole thing. When you have finished, light the room as you have in the rest of your house but connect the colour 6500k lamps to come on with your normal room light. This will give you a feeling of a real window as colour 6500k lamps are day light. Connect the dimmable ballasts with the warm white lamps to a random timer. when the random timer switches on the warm white lamps slowly get brighter untill the room has a warm bright glow. This will give a great feeling. it is like the sun busting through the clouds. and as the random timer switches off it feel like the sun has been blocked by clouds. To enhance this effect further wirer a 500 watt infared heater to the warm white lamps and place above your fake window. This will give you the occasional heat bursts as the warm white lamps fill the room with light.






Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe View Post
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I'm trying a visual trick with the windows. The entire basement is mostly below grade and without window wells so the windows are only 12 inchest tall and very close to the ceiling. I'm lowering the window opening on the inside of the wall and putting wood shutter/blinds up to cover the lower part of the opening. In between the block wall and the wodden shutter/blinds I'm installing a floresent light to simulate daylight. This way you will be able to clearly see out of the top of the opening through the window but the bottom part of the opening will obstructed by the blinds, you will also not be able to see the bottom of the window frame so it will appear that the window extends all the way to the bottom of the opening.

I'm looking for a way to have the light come on at dawn
and go off at dusk to mimic daylight. I don't want to use a timer becasue I'd have to change it too often, and I've only been able to find dusk/dawn sensors that turn on at night and off at first light.

Dose anyone know of such a device or has anyone attempted this before?
acetek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
remodeling pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,399
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
Any photo cell or photo eye will work. They are available at almost any place that sells electrical parts, including the big box stores.
Don't see how this would work unless used to control a relay, because the typical photo cell does just the oppsoite; turns off during daylight, not on.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #11
remodeling pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,399
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by acetek1 View Post
To get a realisic effect and this is something i tried when i was working in design in the office lighting industry in the UK. You firstly need to position your a lighting rig on a wall at window height. The lighting should contain 8 x T8 fluorescent lamps. 4 of the lamps should have a colour temperature of 6500k (north light colour) the other four should be run on dimmable electronic ballasts with a colour temperature of 2700k (warm white). Place a diffusing sheet of opal acrylic in front of the lamps. Place a white slatted blind in front of the whole thing. When you have finished, light the room as you have in the rest of your house but connect the colour 6500k lamps to come on with your normal room light. This will give you a feeling of a real window as colour 6500k lamps are day light. Connect the dimmable ballasts with the warm white lamps to a random timer. when the random timer switches on the warm white lamps slowly get brighter untill the room has a warm bright glow. This will give a great feeling. it is like the sun busting through the clouds. and as the random timer switches off it feel like the sun has been blocked by clouds. To enhance this effect further wirer a 500 watt infared heater to the warm white lamps and place above your fake window. This will give you the occasional heat bursts as the warm white lamps fill the room with light.
Wow, that sounds like some set up, but sounds like way too much maintence for a home setting.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 682
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Don't see how this would work unless used to control a relay, because the typical photo cell does just the oppsoite; turns off during daylight, not on.
Thus my post that became no 5 in this thread. Are you just seeking trouble????
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


G'day All, am in the same boat, needed a Dawn to Dusk sensor switch that auto turns ON during the day and OFF at night. I bet someone will know how to reverse the existing Dusk to Dawn sensor switch which is readily available.

Thanks in Advance.

Kingkong
kingkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


I'm surprised there's not a commercial unit to do this. There are many, many things that are operated in this cycle. Fountains, daytime animation displays, daylight simulators, daylight only webcams, etc. etc.

I have an OLD digital timer about 15 years old that will do this, BUT it's not capable of handling outdoor service.

Can anyone steer me to a commercial product?
BobbyParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Dusk/Dawn Switch


you could reverse the logic with a relay fairly easily. Not sure how much relays go for though.

MitNotrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring double switch for new ceiling fan toolmanwannabe Electrical 17 11-15-2011 09:34 PM
Basic Switch wiring question; Dimmer to Toggle switch (Pictures included) inspectator Electrical 8 08-07-2007 01:19 AM
Ceiling Fixture / Switch Wiring gregger Electrical 1 10-21-2006 07:47 PM
When Bulb blows, Dimmer Switch Blows mAv19 Electrical 2 05-26-2006 03:52 PM
Detached garage adding a 3 way switch. Slatherd Electrical 4 01-02-2006 02:53 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.