Dusk To Dawn-South Carolina - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dusk to Dawn-South Carolina

I have tried to install a dusk to dawn spotlight to replace the regular spotlight on the outside of my house. When I connect the power, the light comes on for approximately 15 seconds and then goes out. I tried to fool the photocell by blocking it, but it won't come back on. I have hooked the dusk to dawn spotlight to several other outlets in my house and it works perfectly. I can' t understand why it won't work on the one outlet that has 120 volts and allows the regular spotlight to work. The outlet is on a GFIC circuit, but I don't know why this would make a difference.

Advertisement

Brandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,052

Welcome to the forums! I'll move you to "Electrical"......

Gary

Advertisement

frenchelectrican (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyman View Post
I have tried to install a dusk to dawn spotlight to replace the regular spotlight on the outside of my house. When I connect the power, the light comes on for approximately 15 seconds and then goes out. I tried to fool the photocell by blocking it, but it won't come back on. I have hooked the dusk to dawn spotlight to several other outlets in my house and it works perfectly. I can' t understand why it won't work on the one outlet that has 120 volts and allows the regular spotlight to work. The outlet is on a GFIC circuit, but I don't know why this would make a difference.
Ok is this photocell is a screw in type if so you may want to bend the centre tab but before you do this double check the power is off before you do this for safety reason.

But if this a hard wired verison photocell which one you have the two wire or three wire verison ?

The two wire veirson is not too bad but if you used CFL most case they useally not light up very well at all due the electronique ballast.

Now if you have three wire ballast there is black et red et white the black is line side while white is netural and red goes to the luminaire socket if you did get red et black hook up backward most case it will useally not come on at all.

By the way do this luminarie controlled by wall switch that have timer on that or not ?

So let us know which way you have there.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 170

Does this unit also have a motion detector? Because it sounds like a motion detector that's in its test mode; the idea is that you walk around in front of it so you can see where the motion sensor is sensing. On these types of units, you usually change the mode by turning the switch on and off several times consecutively. Check the instructions.
fa_f3_20 is offline   Reply With Quote