Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Duplex: Convert two meters to one

I own a 1929 duplex in Los Angeles. I live in one side, and rent the other, since my purchase in 1995.

The two Pushmatic load panels are not original, but are very old and need to be replaced. Over the years, much modification has been done, some by me, some by previous owners. The un-attached garage houses a shared washer and dryer, yet has a subpanel drawn from only one of the main panels. There other facilites on the property that are shared, yet draw from one panel or the other.

I am not converting this into a single-family home. It would seem to be more equitable to combine the electric service into one, with the bill shared by the two occupants (me and my tenant).

Is this possible?

LambdaEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Possible......sure could I tell you the best way.....no. would the electric co. like it? Though the best way to split the bill would be to do a rate increases for the renter to cover the electric bill just find out from the electric co. the monthly average bill for the electric for that metter

redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

There is nothing against it NEC wise, but you may want to check with your local POCO and building dept. They may have different rules.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,036

Combining the separate services into one is not recommended.

A multifamily building is more valuable with separate electric for each unit.

Also, with separate services you could "temporarily" "combine the two units into one" (with minimum interconnection namely doorways) and the property can remain zoned as a two family for conversion back the other way. Whereas if you combined the services, a temporary conversion to single usage will likely be regarded as permanent by the city.

In some cities you and a non-relative tenant may not split the electric or gas bill. At best the rent is stated as including certain utilities.

I would leave the services separate and gradually make improvments (such as new panels).

Gradually you should also rework the circuits to the garage and other common areas to come into a subpanel in the house and that is connected to the owner's unit panel with provision for adding a third service for the common areas.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-13-2012 at 10:22 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote