Dryerless In West Africa!!! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dryerless in West Africa!!!

I just moved to West Africa a 240V enviroment and I have a U.S Dryer that I cannot get to work, the electrician claims it is a 4 wire dual phase appliance and I need to get a Dual-phase step down transfromer. Can anyone help me with some accurate information on how to get this to work?? It is the raining season here and it rains for 6.5 out of 7 days so I am in dire straights.

Advertisement

minxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

Dryerless in West Africa!!!

I feel for you man! I wish I could tell you but I would be VERY careful to have anyone touch the dryer there. I have looked in vain to try and buy a dryer for my house in Cote D'Ivoire to no avail but may be able to import one from Europe. American appliances will burn out very quickly there unless you have a voltage regulator/transformer as there are surges with the voltage and it fries the wires...I would like to know where you are located?

Really I only need mine for towels, sheets and things that are very heavy...in the meantime I would get some folding racks and set them up inside if you have fans or a/c.

We had to make plug intransformers from parts bought seperately for Japanese machines to step them down. I would contact an online company and I am sure someone can help you put this together.

Advertisement

Last edited by varickwt; 08-20-2007 at 12:45 PM.
varickwt is offline   Reply With Quote