Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dryer Trips Breaker On High

Got a question here...

When I use my clothes dryer on the high heat setting the breaker sometimes trips.

The manual for the dryer says that 30 amps (230V) is sufficient. The breaker is 30 amp and the wiring to the dryer outlet is 10 gauge so everything seems to be in order. The outlet is a NEMA 10-30R.

Can anyone offer a possible explanation?

Thanks

Last edited by Richo; 01-01-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #2

It could be a bad breaker. You are correct with # 10 wire, NEMA 30R and 30 amp breaker. Before you buy another breaker, shut it off and go to the receptacle and tighten the terminals. Then tighten the breaker terminals. Check for any discoloration (heat) at both locations. If all is well, replace the breaker. Is this a new problem? Is this a new dryer? Any changes made recently? Let us know.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #3

The dryer is going on 2 years old but it's the first dryer I've had in this house. I don't use it on high heat every time and it doesn't always trip when on high.

I guess I'll have to check things out as you've instructed and keep an eye on it. I don't want to buy another breaker unless necessary because it's a Federal Pacific (expensive).

Oddly, the same thing happens with my A/C condensing unit (20A breaker). Every once in a while it would trip with no consistency as to when or why. That just started happening in the last few years - but before I had the dryer from what I recall.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Richo; 01-02-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #4

Richo, There is a possibilty that it is the dryer. But if it works good on one temp it should work on high too. They don't have a cross for FP?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #5

Never thought to look for a cross for FP. I purchased a couple FP breakers from my electrical supplier in the past and they didn't inform me of a less expensive alternative. Worst case, I can always pick up a replacement breaker from the home center and try it out. If it still trips I can at least return it.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Electrician philosopher

FP is my favourite.

I'd check the buss, as well. But that is a whole 'nother ball of yarn.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2

The problem with FP is they won't trip on overload or they have a poor connection at the buss and damage the buss with high resistance heat and don't trip. I am also assuming you are in the USA and not Canada. The Canadian FP panel is fine...it's the one that was made in the USA that sucks.

Always believe the breaker is doing its job and check for overload, if it is taking some time before the breaker trips. Use a 'clamp on' amp meter. In your case you seem to imply that you are also having problems with the a/c tripping. This makes you think you have issues with your double pole breakers. So first thing is test for overload at the appliance connection terminal block or the circuit breaker. I would choose the circuit breaker so that I can also visually take a look at or remove the breaker to check for signs of heat damage on the buss stab.

The a/c needs the same thing only you should check if the breaker trips on compressor start or if it trips after it has been running for awhile.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #8

I'll have to try to get my hands on an amp meter one of these days. I'm hoping that I can get one from a rental center.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #9

That is what I was thinking. Is there an amp meter that you could connect inline while the dryer is running to see if it is drawing more than 30A?
twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
Union Electrician

You know, I was going to say that you're lucky they're tripping at all. FP is a menace to the safety of all.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote