Dryer Smell - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dryer smell

I'm not sure what thread to use, so will try this.
I have a 4 year old dryer that was stored for 3 months in a storage unit, through the winter. Brought it home, hooked up, and first load was great. After that a bad smell started with each time it was run (unless on air only). It was taken apart totally, vacuumed out, cleaned, checked and no dead animals found in dryer, or in vent hose(which was new anyway). We checked everything there is inside except taking apart the heater with the coils inside, but looked in with a flashlight and saw nothing. It started out like a chemical smell, and now smells sort of like ashes from a fireplace, but not a "hot" smell. Don't know where to go from here! It is working fine otherwise, turns on fine, runs through cycles fine, doesn't get too hot, etc. Any ideas??

Advertisement

Lois skulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

Dryer smell

I think you need to examine the one area you did not examine closely -- the heating element and its chamber.

Can you put your face down to the motor and give that a good sniff? Lint or cockroaches or other foreign objects could get in there too and burn up and produce odors.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #3

Dryer smell

Thanks-will take dryer apart-- Again-- and check the element closer. what a pain!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

Dryer smell

From experience: This does sound (smell) like heater coils being in storage, the dust on the coils when placed in storage absorbing moisture, and getting moldy. Ask my son! As stated, the heater coils, and surrounding area, need a good cleaning, not just a vacuum. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
Lois skulski (03-11-2010)
Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #5

Dryer smell

Thanks to those who tried to help solve my smelly dryer problem. We totally took apart the heater coil, and the fan, cleaned with a clorox solution, rinsed and blew dry. Tried again, and when the heat was turned on it STILL smelled. I stayed with it and as soon as the odor started, the nose went to work, and lo and behold, it was the plug! I immediately turned it off, and the breaker. The plug had one partially detached prong and was starting to melt. It hadn't shut off the breaker because it didn't short out. Thank God, we caught it when we did. Put in a new plug and outlet and checked the wires and all is fine now.Evidently the smell was being sucked into the dryer and going all through it which made it so hard to locate the origin. So glad this is over-but---we have the cleanest used dryer in existance!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Dryer smell

Glad you found the problem.
Nothing worse than an electrical burning smell.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,008

Dryer smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Glad you found the problem.
Nothing worse than an electrical burning smell.
OP. You will always remember that smell. It is the smell of a fire about to start.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote