Originally Posted by Melanie paris
I had a three prong plug on my dryer I converted it to a four prong because that's what my new house had. I followed instructions exactly and had pictures to go by. I dried my first load and it tripped the circuit breaker. it melted the black wire. I bought a new dryer and the guy plugged it in and the plug in doesn't work now. I know I have to call an electrician but am afraid of what it's gonna cost. can you tell me what I might have done to cause this.
This what you should done for the first time I will grab the voltmeter to verify the dryer receptale connection before you turn the dryer on for the first time.
I will post the correct 4 wire hook up diagram the red and black is hot conductor while white is neutral and ground is typically bare copper.
Note: most case with 4 wire dryer receptales if you look in the back the Green screw is used for ground ( bare copper conductor ) while silver screw is used for netural aka white conductor now for brass colour it don't matter which way it goes.
I will post the photos so you can get the idea how it should be.
That should help you on the question.
I think either the conductor is touching in wrong spot causing the black wire to melt ( this should trip the breaker pretty fast ) some case loose connection do the same thing ( it may trip the breakers if on that location )
The first thing is check the recepetale to make sure there is no other damage there if not check the breaker box to see if any connection got loosen up.
If you get the electrician come out they can find it pretty fast but the cost that part I do not know it will varies a bit.