Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

dryer cord problems

I had a three prong plug on my dryer I converted it to a four prong because that's what my new house had. I followed instructions exactly and had pictures to go by. I dried my first load and it tripped the circuit breaker. it melted the black wire. I bought a new dryer and the guy plugged it in and the plug in doesn't work now. I know I have to call an electrician but am afraid of what it's gonna cost. can you tell me what I might have done to cause this.

Melanie paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,116

dryer cord problems

Did you run a new wire all the way back to the panel.
Unless you can tell us or show us how you wired it hard to say what went wrong.
Sounds like you wired the nutral or ground to a hot wire.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,806

dryer cord problems

It's most likely you still have a good outlet---get a tester and see---you need a two wire tester--post a picture of your outlet and someone here will tell you how to test it---

Also--when you had the short in the old dryer---you must have blown the breaker---make sure it's turned back on for the test---
Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

dryer cord problems

Possible that you melted the outlet when the short happened. Lucky a fire did not become from it, and that the breaker did its job.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,276

dryer cord problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie paris View Post
I had a three prong plug on my dryer I converted it to a four prong because that's what my new house had. I followed instructions exactly and had pictures to go by. I dried my first load and it tripped the circuit breaker. it melted the black wire. I bought a new dryer and the guy plugged it in and the plug in doesn't work now. I know I have to call an electrician but am afraid of what it's gonna cost. can you tell me what I might have done to cause this.
can you tell us what colored wires went to what pins in the plug ?
What voltage does it say on the dryers info plate ?
And what current draw ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

dryer cord problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie paris View Post
This what you should done for the first time I will grab the voltmeter to verify the dryer receptale connection before you turn the dryer on for the first time.

I will post the correct 4 wire hook up diagram the red and black is hot conductor while white is neutral and ground is typically bare copper.

Note: most case with 4 wire dryer receptales if you look in the back the Green screw is used for ground ( bare copper conductor ) while silver screw is used for netural aka white conductor now for brass colour it don't matter which way it goes.

I will post the photos so you can get the idea how it should be.

That should help you on the question.

I think either the conductor is touching in wrong spot causing the black wire to melt ( this should trip the breaker pretty fast ) some case loose connection do the same thing ( it may trip the breakers if on that location )

The first thing is check the recepetale to make sure there is no other damage there if not check the breaker box to see if any connection got loosen up.

If you get the electrician come out they can find it pretty fast but the cost that part I do not know it will varies a bit.

Merci,
Marc
forcedreno2012 (12-31-2012), hardwareman (12-30-2012), mpoulton (12-31-2012), NJMarine (12-31-2012), oh'mike (12-31-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

dryer cord problems

what Marc said, you can't get a more informative answer than that

frenchelectrican (01-01-2013), oh'mike (12-31-2012)