Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

Share |

dryer is 27 amps on 30 amp breaker

I was just reading today about plug-in appliances should not exceed 80% of a circuit's rating. Going over my stuff, I noticed our dyer's plate says "Motor 4 amps; Heater and accessories 23 amps." I assume they are added together which would be 27 amps and at 125% thats 33.5 amps. I've never had a problem with operation.

What do you suggest??

whatrymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatrymes View Post
I was just reading today about plug-in appliances should not exceed 80% of a circuit's rating. Going over my stuff, I noticed our dyer's plate says "Motor 4 amps; Heater and accessories 23 amps." I assume they are added together which would be 27 amps and at 125% thats 33.5 amps. I've never had a problem with operation.

What do you suggest??
I will not worry too much with the heating part due it will cycle depending on the thermosat setting so it will cycle so it will not be a constant load at all.

Merci.
Marc

Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #3

I was trouble shooting a tripping breaker on my dryer and put an ammeter on both legs of the 240V circuit. What I discovered was that when just the blower is running one leg drew 4 amps and the other drew nothing, since the blower is 120V. When the heating element was on, one side drew 27 amps and the other 23 amps. My breaker was bad and replacing it solved my problem. What you describe is normal.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote