Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #1

Share |

Dropping computer cable to basement from first floor - how to

I've set up computer in kitchen, nearest cable outlet is far away in other room, so I want to drop the cable through the wall down (an outer wall) to the basement. The connection point for my dsl is very close below desk (in basement.) So, I have decided to start from the basement, drill a hole up and once that seems ok cut a box for a scoop plate in drywall above the whole. Fish the cable up and catch it, plug it in.

My second thoughts started when I began to mark the spot to start my hole in the basement. Because there is limited space (I am boxed in) I can only get my drill about 5 inches from the outer wall. As the drill started whirring, I wondered, is this too far out? Will I unwittingly drill into our floor? I have 8 inches, right, but do I have to account for additional space (ie: do I know for sure that the outer wall I see down there is actually all there is?

I saw somewhere to pull away baseboard, drill a small hole as close to wall as possible and see where you come out down in the basement. But...there is pergo all the way to the wall and I didn't want to drill a hole in it, even a small one. I am looking for any suggestions!

abacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You are better off using inner walls. Outer walls have insulation in them, and are hard to push Fish sticks through.

Do not drill from the basement up. You will come up just next to the wall in the upstairs.

You have to make the opening for a LV box, then use a Flex bit to drill the hole through the plate & sub floor. By placing the bit on the shaft inside the wall space.

Just make sure that you check along the way that there are no pipes or hvac ducting anywhere that you may drill into.

And btw. It is not called Computer Cable. It is called Ethernet wiring. I only use 5 of mine out of 6 right now. Two are for Access points, one is a switch, one is for a Samknows "White Box", and the other is for a PS-3.

All of my equipment runs off of one of the A/P's. In this day and age, you will find that with Wireless-N Multi-Channel & Wireless-ac Multi-Channel. You get just as good of speeds as you do with Wired connections.

There should be very few items that should need to be connected to a Wired connection.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 04-13-2014 at 07:29 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #3

As Greg said just go with WiFi. Especially considering the short distance between the 2 points you will have excellent signal strengths and speeds. Much easier and much more flexible for future changes.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
As Greg said just go with WiFi. Especially considering the short distance between the 2 points you will have excellent signal strengths and speeds. Much easier and much more flexible for future changes.
As GregZ and Msrdell say...^^^^^ Even I have Wifi... and I don't know anything about this electronic stuff... and I know how to fish.

You want Wifi... honest
gregzoll (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
The problem that you run into is that not everything is going to work with Wireless-n or Wireless-ac.

There is still a lot of hardware that will only work with Wireless-b or g, that is still out there.

A mixed environment is the best way to go. Now of course there are some that take it too far as in this example.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The problem that you run into is that not everything is going to work with Wireless-n or Wireless-ac.

There is still a lot of hardware that will only work with Wireless-b or g, that is still out there.

A mixed environment is the best way to go. Now of course there are some that take it too far as in this example.

NFI.... Just funnin
Old 04-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Mtn, did you happen to see the DSL filter in there. Along with the fact that #16 stranded fire starter with the two wall warts, that could have been placed on that power strip.

I actually stole this from Structure Tech's FB page. Of course they locked me out from posting on it. Did not like me being a critic about some errors they were making in their statements.

Then again. Just about most HI's hate when faults are found in their work.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #8

If you go wifi, and the access point is a directly below your desk, on the lower floor, turn your antenna horizontal. You'll likely get better signal in that case.

When pointed vertical, the area directly above and below the antenna are weak points. when pointed horizontal, the opposite applies.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-14-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
If you go wifi, and the access point is a directly below your desk, on the lower floor, turn your antenna horizontal. You'll likely get better signal in that case.

When pointed vertical, the area directly above and below the antenna are weak points. when pointed horizontal, the opposite applies.
The one place you do not want to place a A/P is under a desk. It needs to go up as high as you can get it, to get the best coverage.

The Antenna need to stay Vertical for best operation.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The one place you do not want to place a A/P is under a desk. It needs to go up as high as you can get it, to get the best coverage.

The Antenna need to stay Vertical for best operation.
If he's linking the basement to the upstairs, horizontal antennas will perform much better. The antenna radiation pattern is like a donut around the antenna. The strongest signal is in a ring around the antenna, and the weakest is in line with the ends of it. For best operation, the upstairs and downstairs antennas should be parallel with each other. The two antennas on the access point(s) should be perpendicular to each other to provide for good coverage in both polarizations. So looking down on the access point from the top, the antennas should go like: |__ and the antennas on the device at the other end should do the same. Under a desk isn't great because of all the other wires and metal stuff. The antennas should be at least a foot away from any conductive objects for optimal performance.

Will it work without any of these tips? Of course. Wifi is very reliable. But if you need optimal speed at all times, good antenna placement and adjustment can make a huge difference.
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
If he's linking the basement to the upstairs, horizontal antennas will perform much better. The antenna radiation pattern is like a donut around the antenna. The strongest signal is in a ring around the antenna, and the weakest is in line with the ends of it. For best operation, the upstairs and downstairs antennas should be parallel with each other. The two antennas on the access point(s) should be perpendicular to each other to provide for good coverage in both polarizations. So looking down on the access point from the top, the antennas should go like: |__ and the antennas on the device at the other end should do the same. Under a desk isn't great because of all the other wires and metal stuff. The antennas should be at least a foot away from any conductive objects for optimal performance.

Will it work without any of these tips? Of course. Wifi is very reliable. But if you need optimal speed at all times, good antenna placement and adjustment can make a huge difference.
MPoul..... Thank Ya for the education..... but I am VERY ignorent with new technology...

Couple of clarrifying questions:

1) You refer to two sets of antennas. I suppose you mean the antennas on my sending unit and those on my laptop? How would I know where they are on my lap top.

2) My application is with the sending unit downstairs in my office, but we mainly use the laptops upstairs. My sending unit has two antennas. From the top, looking down, do I understand they should be horizontal and positioned 1_ at 90* to each other.

TIA

Peter
Old 04-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

The antennas in a laptop are internal, usually in the screen part. They are usually at 90 degrees to each other, in the plane of the screen, so one is horizontal and the other vertical. You can just do the same thing with the antennas on the router and it will work well.
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Easier is to just use POE A/P's on each floor. The Engenius ECB350 I have, will cover at least a 1/2 mile outdoors. Indoors, it will cover three floors with no problems. Personally though. I would rather use an A/P at the first floor, then the third if the first does not cover the whole structure.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

go hard wired! do it right and get a great connection
Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
go hard wired! do it right and get a great connection
Very little need for hardwired connections now days. Only things hardwired in my house, is the DirecTV DVR & Blu-Ray Player one a switch, a PS3, and the two Access Points upstairs.

Everything else in my place is wireless.

Tags
basement, cable, fish