Driveway Mounted Lights - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Driveway Mounted Lights

At the end of my driveway there are a couple of light fixtures mounted on PVC pipe in large stone posts. Large is 3 ft by 3 ft, stone structure with a concrete cap. One light fixture went out and started blowing the circuit breaker. The working light has the power coming from the house, at that light there is a black/white and ground (Romex type?) that leads to the second light, unhappily, under the driveway. I disconnected the wire at the working side and tested the wire and black/white/ground all show connectivity to each other meaning the cross-over wire is totally shorted somehow. Do I have any choices here but to replace that bad wire? Pull from either side and see if it can be pulled through? dig under the driveway and see if I can run a new wire? I feel like I'm totally screwed here but maybe there's just something I do not know about these kinds of setups and maybe there is a way to fix it. Fingers crossed. THANKS MUCH
House was built in 1984 if that matters code-wise.

Advertisement

rmmagow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Driveway Mounted Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmagow View Post
I disconnected the wire at the working side and tested the wire and black/white/ground all show connectivity to each other meaning the cross-over wire is totally shorted somehow.
When you did this, was the non-working light completely disconnected also? If not, you're probably showing continuity through the bulb or a fault in the fixture.

Advertisement

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

Driveway Mounted Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
When you did this, was the non-working light completely disconnected also? If not, you're probably showing continuity through the bulb or a fault in the fixture.
Yeah, it was out and disconnected. I'm pretty sure something happened to the wire under the ground, I just have no clue what to do about fixing this other than digging up the driveway which isn't gonna happen I don't think.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,406

Driveway Mounted Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmagow View Post
Yeah, it was out and disconnected. I'm pretty sure something happened to the wire under the ground, I just have no clue what to do about fixing this other than digging up the driveway which isn't gonna happen I don't think.
Why dont you attach the new cable solidily to the old cable,
then pull it thru with the old cable.
It saves a lot of time.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #5

Driveway Mounted Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Why dont you attach the new cable solidily to the old cable,
then pull it thru with the old cable.
It saves a lot of time.
I'm seriously hoping I can do that. Preliminary yanks on the wire have not produced any movement. If I can get it to move, pull through is my plan. My next step it to really pull hard on the wires to see if they can be done via pull through.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,406

Driveway Mounted Lights

If the cable doesnt move easily it might not work !
I know its a pain but a dig up might be needed. !
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Driveway Mounted Lights

Pulling wire is something I have a lot of experience doing.....

One would hope that they put it in conduit....but it kind of sounds like they didn't.

I would take the ends of our existing wire...bend a hook into them...then take your new wires (UF cable) and bend a hook in them....then attach the hooked ends together....pinching the bends and then taping each one individually....then tape up the whole mess...but not too much....you don't want a big wad....that will not pull through....you will want enough of the outside insulation stripped off so you can expose enough of the wires.

As you start to pull this through, have someone push the other end.....you might be able to 'lube' things up a bit by pouring some water down each hole...it sounds like you need to just break the initial friction....after that, it should pull pretty easy.

To give you an idea of how much force....wrap the wire on the pull side around a stick....then use the stick to pull.....if the wire breaks....you would have had to dig anyway....

If you end up digging....run some PVC conduit.....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote