DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Drilling holes through studs (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/drilling-holes-through-studs-44798/)

paul_arc 05-19-2009 12:57 PM

Drilling holes through studs
 
Im adding a sub panel and need to run a 1 1/4" conduit. I would like to put the conduit in the wall but wondering what is the maximum size hole that I can drill through the studs. It would probably need to be drilled 1 1/2" size and have to drill about 6 studs. I can run it surface if needed but would like to put it inside the wall.

Whats the max size I can drill through the studs?

220/221 05-19-2009 01:53 PM

If it's not a bearing wall, I wouldn't be concerned. You still have an inch on each side left.


Think about steel studs. They have 1bout 1 1/2 inch holes punched in them every couple feet.


Technically, I don't know the answer. :jester:

paul_arc 05-19-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 220/221 (Post 275696)
If it's not a bearing wall, I wouldn't be concerned. You still have an inch on each side left.


Think about steel studs. They have 1bout 1 1/2 inch holes punched in them every couple feet.


Technically, I don't know the answer. :jester:

Thats exactly what I was thinking also, "technically" I dont know the answer either:huh:

Speedy Petey 05-19-2009 02:31 PM

40% allowed in bearing walls and 60% allowed in non-bearing walls.

For a 2x4 this is 1-7/16" or 2-1/8"

Either way you will need nail plates on BOTH sides of every stud.

Bigplanz 05-19-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 275717)
40% allowed in bearing walls and 60% allowed in non-bearing walls.

For a 2x4 this is 1-7/16" or 2-1/8"

I believe you, so don't take this question the wrong way. Could you provide a code citation? This is really good information, and I would like to be able to tell people this and back it up. Thanks, sincerely.

Gary in WA 05-19-2009 04:52 PM

Look at wall framing here:

http://www.codecheck.com/cc/pg03_04building.html

Be safe, G

Speedy Petey 05-19-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigplanz (Post 275751)
I believe you, so don't take this question the wrong way. Could you provide a code citation? This is really good information, and I would like to be able to tell people this and back it up. Thanks, sincerely.

I have this Wood Boring Guide .pdf file. It is from:

Western Wood Products Association
522 SW Fifth Avenue Suite 400
Portland, OR 97204-2122
503/224-3930 Fax: 503/224-3934
e-mail: info@wwpa.org
web site: http://www.wwpa.org

I don't remember where I got it but you can try it here: http://www2.wwpa.org/Portals/9/docs/PDF/A11.pdf

I had to join their site to see if it was still available. It is but you may have to join (for free).

Bigplanz 05-19-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 275796)
I have this Wood Boring Guide .pdf file. It is from:

Western Wood Products Association
522 SW Fifth Avenue Suite 400
Portland, OR 97204-2122
503/224-3930 Fax: 503/224-3934
e-mail: info@wwpa.org
web site: http://www.wwpa.org

I don't remember where I got it but you can try it here: http://www2.wwpa.org/Portals/9/docs/PDF/A11.pdf

I had to join their site to see if it was still available. It is but you may have to join (for free).

Thank you very much.

Speedy Petey 05-19-2009 06:21 PM

Did the .pdf link work for you?

Bocolo 05-19-2009 06:49 PM

Speedy, the pdf works. Very good info. Thanks.

Bigplanz 05-19-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 275825)
Did the .pdf link work for you?

Yes, it did. Very interesting reading. Thanks.

Michael Thomas 05-19-2009 07:35 PM

http://www.canyonco.org/assets/0/74/...e426.jpg?n=947

- http://www.canyonco.org/dsd.aspx?id=8823

____________
Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson

Speedy Petey 05-19-2009 07:53 PM

IRC R602.6
Same info. Perfect reference Michael. Thanks.

220/221 05-19-2009 08:27 PM

Do you have a drawing like that for floor/ceiling joists?

Speedy Petey 05-20-2009 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 220/221 (Post 275875)
Do you have a drawing like that for floor/ceiling joists?

In that .pdf I linked above.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved