Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
DIY'r

Share |

Drilling holes in meter pan OK?

Are there any code issues involved in drilling holes in a meter pan for attaching fittings?

I'm going to run 12/2 MC to/from the pan and I'd like to wire from the back (it's a finished wall). The smallest KO looks to be about 1", and I'd want 1/2". Also, there's only 1 KO in the back.

(BTW, this is NOT my service meter. I'm installing one in my garage to monitor my wife's Chevy Volt's charging usage -- and no, I'm not billing her ).

ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
I ask the impossible!

What's wrong with a 1" KO?

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
DIY'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
What's wrong with a 1" KO?
I'd need to buy more fittings. Whereas my drill is always handy.

Besides, there's only one KO on the back at the top, and I'd prefer 2; top and bottom.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
I ask the impossible!

Strictly speaking I believe that one of the things that makes a meter enclosure code compliant is the UL listing, and an alteration like drilling a hole where there was not already a knock-out would invalidate the UL listing of the component. The fittings are a lot cheaper than having to buy another meter socket if this is being done on permit and the inspector objects.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

if you own the box and the meter, the only limitations would be if there was weather involved. If this is inside, you can do whatever you want to. If this is outside, you would have to consider the raintight rating and use appropriate fittings and/or be sure you are not restricted to where in the box you can drill and retain the 3R rating.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Drill away.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
DIY'r

Well, that's 2 against 1 and I'm inclined to drill anyway. Thanks for your quick replies guys!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
Strictly speaking I believe that one of the things that makes a meter enclosure code compliant is the UL listing, and an alteration like drilling a hole where there was not already a knock-out would invalidate the UL listing of the component.
So almost every panel I have worked in is now not CSA or UL listed because I made my own holes?

I say drill away and make a new hole.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
So almost every panel I have worked in is now not CSA or UL listed because I made my own holes?

I say drill away and make a new hole.
Oh Gawd, Let's see. There was about 200 panels at that last big job. Then, at that school there was probably close to 100. Damn, there has to be a couple thousand I have to go replace now. Man, what are you supposed to do with the tubs that don't have any knockouts at all? (which is the type I prefer)

just so willk doesn't feel beat up on: I understand his thought and intention but he needs to understand that tubs are designed with the intent they will have holes put in them by the installer. As long as any restrictions the manufacturer puts on the location are observed, it's all good. There are some panels, usually 3R rated panels and things like transformer cases where they require there are no holes drilled above some line within the tub. Other than that, you are generally good to make all the holes you want to make.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
DIY'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
just so willk doesn't feel beat up on:
Agreed.. I asked originally because my thinking was basically the same as Will's, though I've seen it done on panels but never a meter pan. I guess there's no difference, but I wanted to be sure.

This is indeed going to be an indoor installation, so 3R rating is not an issue.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #11

Just buy reducing donuts from the supply house. 1 inch to 1/2
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
I ask the impossible!

No problem, my background with UL and CSA is in medical devices and you can affect UL listing by changing nothing but the manufacturing location, even if the exact same design and processes are making the same parts.