Downstream Of GFCI Outlets - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,040
Question

downstream of GFCI outlets

i was looking at the wiring book that i have explaining how to wire GFCI outlets on the same circuit with regular outlets. it was showing two GFCI outlets first and then the circuit ending with a regular outlet. i am confused because i know that if these were all regular, it would be an easy connection using x/2 cable, however, this complicated the matter with NOT USING THE LOAD sockets on GFCIs, instead using a x/3 cable b/ween the first and second GFCI.

the book did next to nothing explaining why that is the case. why not just connect to the next downstream outlet using LOAD and x/2 cable ?

in my case, i have all of my regular 15A outlets, except for the ones in the bathroom and for the fridge all on the same circuit. that includes the three GFCIs in the kitchen. the first kitchen GFCI is #6 on the circuit, the other two will be, i believe, #12 and 13. each GFCI has regulars on each side of them.

the exhibit from the crappy book confused the hell out of me for not treating GFCIs the same way as regular outlets when they have sockets to run wire in and out.

can you tell me if i am reading something wrong and if my design is feasible ?

thanks,

- a -

Advertisement

amakarevic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Just connect one GFCI load side connections to the rest of the regular receptacles. Sometimes DIY books make it more complicated than it really is.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Just connect one GFCI load side connections to the rest of the regular receptacles. Sometimes DIY books make it more complicated than it really is.
no kidding. that is what i did, i.e. just ran wire downstream of GFCI out of the LOAD sockets using normal 14/2 cable. DUH !! i understand this will trip all the downstream regular outlets in case of a GFCI fault upstream of them.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
no kidding. that is what i did, i.e. just ran wire downstream of GFCI out of the LOAD sockets using normal 14/2 cable. DUH !! i understand this will trip all the downstream regular outlets in case of a GFCI fault upstream of them.
Make sure the circuit is on a 15 amp breaker since you have 14/2. The GFCI protection will be present for all the receptacles connected to the GFCI, including the GFCI. It does not protect anything upstream. Anything before the GFCI. Only itself and downstream.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #5

Question

Quote:
Make sure the circuit is on a 15 amp breaker since you have 14/2. The GFCI protection will be present for all the receptacles connected to the GFCI, including the GFCI. It does not protect anything upstream. Anything before the GFCI. Only itself and downstream.
of course. but it is okay to have a GFCI, then some regulars, and then some GFCIs again on the same circuit, please confirm.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I think what you are talking about is two circuits sharing a neutral which would have a gfci downstream, its a different circuit thats why the 14/3.
Plumbvoltage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
You can test for GFI protection by running a small incand. lamp from the short slot to the ground hole, assuming the outlet is wired correctly.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
of course. but it is okay to have a GFCI, then some regulars, and then some GFCIs again on the same circuit, please confirm.
You can, but why? One GFCI on one circuit is all you need. There is no limit on recepts protected by the GFCI.
I am sorry I missed the 14/3 comment. Do you have 14/3 or 14/2? If it is 14/3 then like said above it could be a multiwire circuit and you would need to protect each circuit separately.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
You can, but why? One GFCI on one circuit is all you need. There is no limit on recepts protected by the GFCI.
I am sorry I missed the 14/3 comment. Do you have 14/3 or 14/2? If it is 14/3 then like said above it could be a multiwire circuit and you would need to protect each circuit separately.
i do not have an unlimited # of slots on my panel nor do i want to have any more wire run than necessary. i want all my power outlets in the 1BR condo to be on a single circuit, with a few exceptions. but all the kitchen GFCI will be one the same circuit as the living room and BR outlets.

make sense ?

merry x-mas, BTW, or whatever holiday you may be celebrating these days !

- a
Old 12-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Quote:
i do not have an unlimited # of slots on my panel nor do i want to have any more wire run than necessary. i want all my power outlets in the 1BR condo to be on a single circuit, with a few exceptions. but all the kitchen GFCI will be one the same circuit as the living room and BR outlets.

make sense ?

merry x-mas, BTW, or whatever holiday you may be celebrating these days !

- a
Kitchens require two circuits and they must be rated at 20 amps.
You need to rethink this part of your job.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Kitchens require two circuits and they must be rated at 20 amps.
You need to rethink this part of your job.
the two 20A circuits are one for DW and garbage, the other one for MW. the outlets do not need to be 20A and they can be on a different circuit.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Quote:
the two 20A circuits are one for DW and garbage, the other one for MW. the outlets do not need to be 20A and they can be on a different circuit.
The counter top receptacles need to be on two 20 amp circuits.
The dw and mw have nothing to do with the code for the kitchen receptacles.
The receptacles do not have to be 20 amp, but the circuits do!

Advertisement