Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
Rnj

Share |

Double switch for two light bulbs

Hello there,

I've found this forum using Google trying to figure out how to wire my project, and I would appreciate your help.

I bought some new lighting for my room which has two light bulbs (each bulb has seperate wires - positive and negative), until now I had a normal switch, now I want a double switch - Each one to each light.

I took the current switch out and there are two wires - Brown and blue (same thing goes for the ceiling).

Can I wire those two wires somehow that will let me control each bulb with each switch?

P.S. Sorry if I got the terms wrong, I'm more of small electronics projects type rather than home electricity

Thanks!

Rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

are you somewhere outside of the US?

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Rnj

Indeed I am, has the brown and blue wiring framed me?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnj View Post
Hello there,

I've found this forum using Google trying to figure out how to wire my project, and I would appreciate your help.

I bought some new lighting for my room which has two light bulbs (each bulb has seperate wires - positive and negative), until now I had a normal switch, now I want a double switch - Each one to each light.

I took the current switch out and there are two wires - Brown and blue (same thing goes for the ceiling).

Can I wire those two wires somehow that will let me control each bulb with each switch?

P.S. Sorry if I got the terms wrong, I'm more of small electronics projects type rather than home electricity

Thanks!
normally the 2 light socket wires are connected together (2 hots and 2 neutrals) then connected to teh feed hot and neutral respectively, fed by the single switch (switching the hot wire). your desire for separate control will be limited by the number of wires between the switch box and the light fixture. since there must be a switched hot for each socket (x2)and a shared neutral (1), adding up to 3 current carrying conductors. you likely only have 2. the black and brown colors at the switch are unfamiliar to me, is this a low voltage system or non-usa?
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Rnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
normally the 2 light socket wires are connected together (2 hots and 2 neutrals) then connected to teh feed hot and neutral respectively, fed by the single switch (switching the hot wire). your desire for separate control will be limited by the number of wires between the switch box and the light fixture. since there must be a switched hot for each socket (x2)and a shared neutral (1), adding up to 3 current carrying conductors. you likely only have 2. the black and brown colors at the switch are unfamiliar to me, is this a low voltage system or non-usa?
Thanks for the comment, as mentioned, non usa indeed. Blue is the phase, brown is the neutral.

Then I understand there is no easy way to do it, but add another wire?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #6

"Then I understand there is no easy way to do it, but add another wire?"
unless there is a spare wire already. that's what i'm saying am sticking to it -

"since there must be a switched hot for each socket (x2)and a shared neutral (1), adding up to 3 current carrying conductors. you likely only have 2."
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Rnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
"Then I understand there is no easy way to do it, but add another wire?"
unless there is a spare wire already. that's what i'm saying am sticking to it -

"since there must be a switched hot for each socket (x2)and a shared neutral (1), adding up to 3 current carrying conductors. you likely only have 2."
Just wanted to make sure. Thanks a million!
Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Indeed I am, has the brown and blue wiring framed me?
it was a good clue.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Thanks for the comment, as mentioned, non usa indeed. Blue is the phase, brown is the neutral.

Then I understand there is no easy way to do it, but add another wire?
and if I am correct, this gives another clue that you are in the UK or someplace that uses the UK wiring system.

and this is not a very new system since even the UK switched to IEC colors and uses blue for a neutral now. Don't know what year they changed though.

am I right?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

The brown and bleu is common European and aussie colour format.

Now to OP .,

If you want the light bulbs to be on seperated you will have to change the cable from the switch point to the ceiling luminaire.

you will need 2.5mm˛ triplex cable or 4.0mm˛ triplex depending on it have in there however if you have exsting ring circuit that will get tricky but I will expain it if you have it.

To change from twinner to triplex you have to pull the exsting cable out and run the new one to the switch point and get double toggle or rocker swtich.

and you will have to remark one conductor useally Bleu with brown sleeve or brown tape one of two { some case black } the remarked is your power supply while the Brown and Black is switched conductor.

Can you tell me which location so I can able pinpoint more closer with final connection due I am famuir with UK , French , Aussise system.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Rnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
and if I am correct, this gives another clue that you are in the UK or someplace that uses the UK wiring system.

and this is not a very new system since even the UK switched to IEC colors and uses blue for a neutral now. Don't know what year they changed though.

am I right?
Actually I'm from Israel, and the building I live in is around 13 years old.
I suppose it is indeed the old UK system (there are many influences of UK in Israel, it goes back to the days of the British Mandate for Palestine actually )
Old 08-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post

am I right?
They did change that about 5 years ago to harmozied the system.

so here quick run down

Bleu - Netural
Brown - Phase A
Grey - Phase B
Black - Phase C

that what it should be but here my verison { France }

Bleu -Netural
Black - Phase A
Red - Phase B
Brown -Phase C
Green/yellow - earth

so there are couple latest verison of conductor colours that is legit.{ bioth are used but the first part is little more common then second one }

Merci.
Marc
Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

I'll let Marc run with this one. He is more familiar with the Euro systems so less likely to make a mistake than I would be.

(just watch out for his accent. He's French ya know)

just kidding with ya marc.
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (08-22-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Actually I'm from Israel, and the building I live in is around 13 years old.
I suppose it is indeed the old UK system (there are many influences of UK in Israel, it goes back to the days of the British Mandate for Palestine actually )
Ok that is stright shot

Just follow my comment above this it pretty straight foward task with colour codes

They havent change very much with colour codes expect just updated few years back.

But if you have hollow wall it will be very easy to swap cable if soild wall you can either chip it out or run a surface tube on the wall and run the cable inside of it.

Merci.
Marc
Old 08-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
Rnj

Thanks a lot Marc and nap, I'll switch to a 2.5 triplex wire first thing tomorrow morning!
P.S I'm pretty sure it is indeed radial circuit.
How trickier does it get?