Double Switch Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

double switch problem

Hi
I'm having a problem with my double light switch or a least i thought it was, my 2 kitchen lights stopped working mysteriously, both work off an individual switch for both lights (2 way 2 gang switch) yesterday both switches refused to switch the lights on, I took the switch off and checked the tightness of the connections and they seemed fine, so and went and bought a new switch and reconected the wires of which there are 2 cables each with 2 red wires, and and earth wire which is already connected to the box, i used the 4 wires in various permentations, but no joy, then as a last resort i connected the wires directly to see if the lights would come on without the switch i then realised that there was no power to the wires, yet i have light on my kitchen cupboards that still operate and all other sockets in the kitchen operate, so i am assuming that a fuse in my electric box is not the problem and i find it hard to believe that the wires have broken somewhere inside the wall, so is there a way in which i can check out the power supply as i only want to call in an electrician if its really necessary, as the call out alone will be £70 any answers please, would be grateful.

Advertisement

jim70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

double switch problem

If you have checked the fuses and found no problems with them, it's time to call an electrician.

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

double switch problem

Thanks for the reply mate, I checked the fuses today, by swapping the 2 light fuses around and still no power. It's a right bug bear as iv'e checked everything that i can possibly think of, looks like i'll have to bite the bullet and get someone in to look at it, thanks anyway
jim70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

double switch problem

Good luck Jim. Let us know what the problem is when the sparky finds it.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

double switch problem

Another constructive reply from Joba Fett....and what do we have for him (Joba Fett) today Johny????? Oh I know.........The biggest loser award!!!!!!! Wouldn't it be nice if he would just go away?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

double switch problem

If you were more experienced, and felt comfortable working with electricity, you might consider removing the covers from some of your junction boxes (presumably in the basement) and checking connections.
Be warned, however, that since you do not know what circuit is what, you will need to kill all the power to the house before doing this!! It is not something you want to do with power on!

FW

Advertisement

fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote