Double Pole Vs Single Pole Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Double pole vs single pole question

I have a small 19 gallon water heater in a small garage space, that was installed by some questionable handymen a few months back. I just had the plumbing and septic finished so tested the hot water, only to find the element was already burned out.

I noticed however, that this 120v unit is wired via 10 gauge wire to a 30 amp double breaker. This is questionable because I thought a 120v appliance would be wired to a single pole on the hot wire and run neutral to the neural panel area.

My question is, can I run the hot wire out of one side of the double breaker without safety issues, or should I definitely replace it with a single pole breaker?

I would normally not question the work, but everything these guys did already had to be adjusted, so I'm only naturally assuming this may need to be also.

If its safe, I would like to simply things and just connect the one hot and leave an open space in the other half of the double pole... Is this possible?

Thanks for your advice-

Advertisement

Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wow, a 120 volt water heater on a 240 volt circuit...
How many watts is the element?

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

The element I just bought today to replace is 1500/120v. That's why I'm skeptical as to how to proceed- I bought a single pole 30amp breaker today as well, is the 30 ok to use or should I step down to single pole 20?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
The element I just bought today to replace is 1500/120v. That's why I'm skeptical as to how to proceed- I bought a single pole 30amp breaker today as well, is the 30 ok to use or should I step down to single pole 20?
As long as it is #10 wire the 30 amp breaker is fine. Did you pick up a blank plate to fill the empty space when you changed breaker and I assume you moved the white wire to the neutral bus in the panel.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
Araucaria (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post

My question is, can I run the hot wire out of one side of the double breaker without safety issues, or should I definitely replace it with a single pole breaker?

If the wire was only connected to 1 side of the 2 pole breaker- Black on the breaker, white on the neutral bar, 1 terminal on the breaker left open- then voltage is not a problem. You only get 120 volts from 1 terminal on a 2 pole breaker.

Ig the black and white were both connected to the breaker you were getting 240 to the WH.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Araucaria (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #6

Thank you for the advice - I actually figured the same idea, that I would only get 120v via connecting only hot to the breaker, so just wanted other advice.

Thanks again

Advertisement