Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

Share |

Double Oven Install - Wire size discrepancy

Installing a new double oven in the next couple weeks, and as I was finalizing the wiring, I ran in to something confusing. The oven requires a 40amp breaker, and I know that 40 amp service should be run with 8 gauge wire. However, the oven itself has 10 gauge (stranded for black, white, and red) run through the attached conduit. Any reason for concern with this? Just run the 8 gauge to the connection and go from there?

dvaupel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
"So I Re-Wired It"

Are there separate nuts for a bolt on cord?
The #10thru conduit may control a lower voltage part of the oven. 10 is typically rated for up to 30amps.
Its hard to say without seeing the specs or model of this oven.

MisterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

The manufacturer supplied wires on appliances are not covered by the NEC, the appliance manufacturers use their own standards. My wall oven draws 40A, yet it has 14 gage wire leads. These leads are covered with a special, very high temperature insulation, not normally found in house wiring. Make sure you read the manufacturer directions for making the connection at the box to their wire. On my wall oven, the manufacturer specified a split bolt connection.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
jbfan (07-22-2012), mpoulton (07-22-2012), stickboy1375 (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #4

Instructions on mine say to use wire nuts. And I missed the little note that says the 10 gauge wires have a heavier insulation. So looks like we're good to go....Thanks.
dvaupel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
JOATMON

If you go look at a chart that shows the max amps for a given gauge wire, you will see two numbers...one for chassis wiring and the other for transmission. And then the NEC table.

For example....10Awg wire is good for 55a for chassis wiring, but only 15a for transmission.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

But the NEC says it's good for 40a (90 deg C).

Even though I have a 200A load center with 2/00 feed wire in the weather head...the poco feed to my weather head is smaller...looks to be 2 awg.

So...that 10g should be fine for your oven....short run....but you most likely want to use 8awg for your feed to it.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

I have one of my customer have a double wall oven unit and they did required 40 amp circuit and I did bring in #8 THHN/THWN in conduit but let me pass you a very important part is termation location this part you will have to pay attetion where you land the junction box.

This useally found in the manufacter installment sheet and most case useally I will say useally bottom right side but few case you may want to put a junction box below the oven cabent so just drill a 1.25 inch hole near the corner and that way when you slide the oven in you can snake the new conductors or fexiable conduit down to the junction box and do the hook up below of it. ( only if the installment instruction say this otherwise if not have much room then use this route )

So that one of my few differnt methold to do this.

And last tip make sure the cabent will support the double oven good due some are pretty hevey unit so just give you a quick head up on that.

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

I second the comment about trying to get the j-box in another cabinet, it will make your life easier if your built-ins are not very deep.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (07-22-2012)