Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Is this wire Hot?

Rewards Points: 150

Double-male cord adapter - Satan's Stepchild?

So, I wanted to get a double male extension cord adapter for a special project, but when I looked them up I read that they are the Devil's Curse , Satan's Evil Stepchild, etc. Don't even dare breathe its name at the hardware store.....

What I wanted to do is this, run a cord from a protected outdoor receptacle on my back porch to a protected outdoor receptacle in a treehouse (at ground level) to power some rope lights and one interior outlet that would be hardwired from the aforementioned protected outdoor receptacle. A power inlet box with a male plug would be ideal, but they cost a helluva lot more than a regular outdoor receptacle. And, I imagine, a lot more than a double-male adapter, if they existed.

A double male cord would make it easy to "plug in" the treehouse for a couple of hours to play with the grandkids, then unplug leaving no power to the treehouse to worry about. There would be no uncovered live wires, this is not a generator issue with backflow to the grid, I don't see the big deal.

So, why is it so evil to have double male adapters for special situations like this? And, more importantly, will I burn in the eternal depths of Hell if I make my own?

Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Love for Construction

Rewards Points: 250

STOP! Don't do what you are proposing, it is unnecessary and dangerous.

Why don't you just have a junction box at the beginning of your treehouse circuit, with a pigtail of outdoor rated insulated wire junctioned to the treehouse circuit, and it would come out of the junction box with a male plug end? You could even make a box that all this would fit into so that the wire isn't just hanging out there when not in use. All of the parts I just mentioned would be less than $20, as the pigtail wouldn't have to be very long.

Now all you would need to do is use a standard extension cord running from your home to your plug at the treehouse to energize the circuit there.

This would be just like a RV setup.

Last edited by <*(((><; 04-05-2013 at 01:46 PM.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to <*(((>< For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (04-09-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Fudge View Post
So, why is it so evil to have double male adapters for special situations like this? And, more importantly, will I burn in the eternal depths of Hell if I make my own?
What happens when the grandkids, or the dog, or somebody forgets and unplugs the end from the treehouse - with exposed live prongs - before turning off or unplugging from the house.

It could also come out by accident.

Inlet's aren't that expensive. You can find one here for less than $10 and it comes with the cover plate: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-4937-W...s=15+amp+inlet
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AandPDan For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (04-09-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Isn't that fairly self-explanatory? You want a live male cord end at the treehouse where the kids play? Because you don't want to spend $20 on the correct part, even though an extension cord plus a spare male end will already cost more than that?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Apower%20inlet
Billy_Bob (04-06-2013), Oh-Fudge (04-09-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Is this wire Hot?

Thanks, <*(((><, I guess I don't understand why having a male pigtail hanging out in the elements would be safer than having a protected covered female receptacle into which I could uncover and plug in my male cord end for use.

By the way, this circuit would only be in use under direct supervision and would not be connected for any length of time.

Thanks AandPDan, mpoulton, you make a good point. Cord would be secured, no dog, kids are old enough to know not to touch cords, but still a good point. We could do "what if's" all day, what if the dog chews thru the cord, what if the 8 year old cuts thru it while she's playing with my chainsaw.....

That inlet is just what I needed! I didn't see those. Brilliant! Thanks AandPDan you may have just saved all of our lives
Old 04-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Is this wire Hot?

I don't see those on the 'depot' website, don't they sell them at the big box stores? All they have are the 20-50 amp inlets that cost a small fortune.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,444

The problem is not at treehouse inlet or receptacle or dangling cord end.
The problem is with the cord itself. What happens when you plug it in at the house but have not yet pulgged inthe other end at the tree house? The other end with exposed prongs of the male plug are now live connections. Suppose one of your grandkids touches those ends. You could have one less grandkid.

They call them suicide cords for reason.
EBFD6 (04-07-2013), J. V. (04-06-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,282

Quote:
So, I wanted to get a double male extension cord adapter for a special project, but when I looked them up I read that they are the Devil's Curse , Satan's Evil Stepchild, etc. Don't even dare breathe its name at the hardware store.....

What I wanted to do is this, run a cord from a protected outdoor receptacle on my back porch to a protected outdoor receptacle in a treehouse (at ground level) to power some rope lights and one interior outlet that would be hardwired from the aforementioned protected outdoor receptacle. A power inlet box with a male plug would be ideal, but they cost a helluva lot more than a regular outdoor receptacle. And, I imagine, a lot more than a double-male adapter, if they existed.
Ok....I understand.....the OP does not realize that you can also get 'male' receptacles....use the same box...but instead of your typical female receptacle, you can use a male....then you just use a standard power cord with a round female end....

You want to use one of these...not the best picture...

The inside looks like this.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (04-09-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Is this wire Hot?

Thumbs up

Bingo! Dawg. That is just what I need. Can't seem to find them at the big box store, though? Thanks everybody, I get the message
Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Love for Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Fudge
Thanks, <*(((><, I guess I don't understand why having a male pigtail hanging out in the elements would be safer than having a protected covered female receptacle into which I could uncover and plug in my male cord end for use.:
Because the male end attached to the treehouse won't have power unless the extension cord from the home is hooked up. You could touch the male ends o the pigtail all day long as the only way this circuit is energized is by the extension cord coming from the house. This pigtail is no different then plugging in any appliance (radio, saw, blender, etc.)

Regardless, the outlet jack showed by dawg is a better way to go, I only suggested my way because you were more worried about money than safety. Anyways... So when is the licensed electrician showing up to do this?

Last edited by <*(((><; 04-05-2013 at 03:33 PM.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to <*(((>< For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (04-09-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Always learning...

A good tree house doesn't need electricity :-)

As a kid we had a blast in ours w/o power. Flashlights yes, battery powered radio sure...tv, laptop, other junk...nah - cops & robbers run around and ride bikes!

Can I ask what you're planning on powering out there?
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 532

If you can't find the inlet at the big box stores, try a real electrical supply house.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

This is what I bought to put on the outside of my cargo/work trailer. I wired the interior of the trailer right after buying it as I knew how I wanted all the outlets and light wiring which are inside the trailers interior walls much like a house. Now all I do is to plug into a ccustomers outlet, run my 12/3 extension cord to the trailer, plug it into this type box and I have electricity for my lighting, my fan(s), and outlets for my tools. I would not even consider using a double-male extension cord for safety reasons as others have stated also. I got this type outlet, or is it "inlet", at a local "Lowes" electrical supply house (NOT connected with Lowe's Home Improvement).
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (04-09-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,166

Maybe if the term suicide cord was used the OP would understand the dangers.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,282

I use a cord all the time that we call "Widow Makers".....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote