DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   double ground connections or pigtail in receptacle outlets? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/double-ground-connections-pigtail-receptacle-outlets-165649/)

JasperST 12-05-2012 08:59 AM

double ground connections or pigtail in receptacle outlets?
 
Hey y'all,

This question is for a friend (yes really). I was over at his home last night and he showed me his newlt built garage. He and his son wired it, they are almost done and need it inspected soon.

He had covers off on a few because he was told the inspector will want to peek inside. Others told him no, he'll take the covers off if he wants.

I noticed that they doubled up on the ground wire to the receptacle. Ground to the metal box and ground coming in are terminated on the same screw on the receptacle. Is this Kosher? I thought it would have been better had they pigtailed and only had one wire on the screw.

What say ye?
(WA State, if it matters)

Jim Port 12-05-2012 09:10 AM

One conductor per screw head. The grounds need to be connected to each other and pigtailed to the box and receptacle. Your friend has some work to do.

hammerlane 12-05-2012 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasperST (Post 1066766)
I noticed that they doubled up on the ground wire to the receptacle. Ground to the metal box and ground coming in are terminated on the same screw on the receptacle. Is this Kosher? I thought it would have been better had they pigtailed and only had one wire on the screw.

Do you mean like this where the end of the ground is going to the device(switch...receptacle)

hammerlane 12-05-2012 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
like this?

JasperST 12-05-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerlane (Post 1066779)
Do you mean like this where the end of the ground is going to the device(switch...receptacle)

Not quite. No bare ground wires for one thing. He has a green wire screwed to the box ground with a spade connector on the other end connected onto the receptacle ground screw, shared with the ground wire coming in from the flex conduit.

It will work but I don't know if it will pass muster.

JasperST 12-05-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 1066775)
One conductor per screw head. The grounds need to be connected to each other and pigtailed to the box and receptacle. Your friend has some work to do.

Ooops. I apparently scrolled by your post. That's what I thought. Are bare wires a requirement or does it matter?

hammerlane 12-05-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasperST (Post 1066791)
the other end connected onto the receptacle ground screw, shared with the ground wire coming in from the flex conduit.

so the ground screw of the receptacle has two wires under it?

jbfan 12-05-2012 10:00 AM

Bare wires are not required, but all grounds connected together and one wire under each screw.

JasperST 12-05-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerlane (Post 1066799)
so the ground screw of the receptacle has two wires under it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1066810)
Bare wires are not required, but all grounds connected together and one wire under each screw.

Yes, two wires on the ground screw of the receptacle. Sounds unanimous that it won't fly. I hadn't seen it before so I was skeptical.

Thanks for the input.

tylernt 12-05-2012 10:57 AM

These kind of wire nuts may be useful when fixing this situation:

http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/prope...43/#post389316

AllanJ 12-05-2012 11:58 AM

Wait a minute! If wires have spade lugs attached, can't a number of the spade lugs plus one wire curled around the screw share the same screw?

md2lgyk 12-05-2012 12:03 PM

I don't understand why people don't use plastic boxes. Wouldn't have this issue to worry about.

hammerlane 12-05-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 1066895)
I don't understand why people don't use plastic boxes. Wouldn't have this issue to worry about.

plastic sucks...metal better

JasperST 12-05-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 1066895)
I don't understand why people don't use plastic boxes. Wouldn't have this issue to worry about.

It's a four bay garage/shop. Not commercial but setup for welding and wrenching. All metal conduit and boxes.

eastcoastsparky 12-05-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasperST
Hey y'all,

This question is for a friend (yes really). I was over at his home last night and he showed me his newlt built garage. He and his son wired it, they are almost done and need it inspected soon.

He had covers off on a few because he was told the inspector will want to peek inside. Others told him no, he'll take the covers off if he wants.

I noticed that they doubled up on the ground wire to the receptacle. Ground to the metal box and ground coming in are terminated on the same screw on the receptacle. Is this Kosher? I thought it would have been better had they pigtailed and only had one wire on the screw.

What say ye?
(WA State, if it matters)

is this the rough inspection, if it is no devices or covers can be installed


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved