Doorbell Wiring Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Doorbell wiring problem

My doorbell stopped working after they installed my new furnace. I am convinced they did not wire it correctly to the transformer but am confused with the 6 wires leading to the transformer (3 red and 3 white). I have 1 button and 2 chimes (one in the basement and one upstairs). I have replaced the button and the chimes so I know they should be ok. How do I wire the 6 wires to the transformer terminals?

Advertisement

schulte24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Doorbell wiring problem

Use an AC voltmeter. You should have about 6VAC across pairs of terminals.
I'm not sure that it matters which terminals you use, as long as there is voltage between them.

FW

Advertisement

fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Doorbell wiring problem

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't read your post correctly.
You need to know which wires go where, right?
Use an ohmmeter with the wires disconnected from the transformer.
I would think that you have one red and one white for each circuit.

When the button is not pressed, there should be an open circuit (infinite resistance) between the white and red.
When someone presses the button, you should get a low resistance between a pair, one red and one white.
Once you determine your pairs, you can connect them to the transformer screws.

FW
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Doorbell wiring problem

Are there 3 cables, each with 1 red and 1 white?? When the button is pushed, both chimes go off at the same time?? I will assume so here.
First, you have to find the cable that goes to the button. Second, look at both chime units and note color of wire on each term. One term should be marked front (or rear...whichever your wire is hooked to) and the other wire should be on 'trans'. From here I will assume red to be on 'front' and white to be on 'trans'. Adjust accordingly.

Red to chime 1, red to chime 2 and white to button...tied together with wire nut.

White to chime 1, white to chime 2...tied together and hooked to one of the transformer terms (either one)...may want to wire nut these 2 with a jumper and put the jumper on the trans.

Red to button: will go on other term of the transformer...hook it up last.

I wish I could make a drawing, but my computer drawing stinks as bad as my pencil drawing.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Doorbell wiring problem

You have 3 sets of 2 wires coming to the transformer. A doorbell is a series circuit, meaning it makes a loop from + on the transformer to - on the transformer with the button and chimes in the circuit. take one set of wires, splice one of those with a wire from another set. Take the next wire and splice it to a wire from the third set. Now you should have two wires not being used, put them on the transformer. Now when you push the button you're closing the circuit and dinging, let go and the circuit opens and now you're donging.
Super33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
Electrician

Doorbell wiring problem

I like your idea Super, and that way works too. The only downfall I see is that if one solenoid goes bad the other will stop working too. Not complaining...just saying.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Doorbell wiring problem

I would just take the 3 sets of wires and touch them to the terminals on the transformer. So long as no one pushes the button while you happen to be testing that pair of wires, you should be fine (you won't short anything out). Figure out the two pairs of wires for your door bells, and the rest is easy.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Doorbell wiring problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
I like your idea Super, and that way works too. The only downfall I see is that if one solenoid goes bad the other will stop working too. Not complaining...just saying.
Very true, but trying to explain to put the chimes parellel from eachother would probably keep me up past my bedtime.
Super33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,362

Doorbell wiring problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super33 View Post
You have 3 sets of 2 wires coming to the transformer. A doorbell is a series circuit, meaning it makes a loop from + on the transformer to - on the transformer with the button and chimes in the circuit. take one set of wires, splice one of those with a wire from another set. Take the next wire and splice it to a wire from the third set. Now you should have two wires not being used, put them on the transformer. Now when you push the button you're closing the circuit and dinging, let go and the circuit opens and now you're donging.
Seems to me this method will put the 2 chimes in series and split the voltage between them. The chimes might not ring due to insufficient voltage.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #10
Electrician

Doorbell wiring problem

FYI...the method I described puts the chimes in parallel.

Advertisement