Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

Doorbell transformer

I want to put a hardwired doorbell into our house, right now its wireless and (a piece of junk).... most of the transformers are 30 to 40 watt.. which for chimes that is pretty much needed... but my question is, does the transformer constantly used that many watts? or is that just momentary usaged when the chimes are running? Thanks!

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Doorbell transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
I want to put a hardwired doorbell into our house, right now its wireless and (a piece of junk).... most of the transformers are 30 to 40 watt.. which for chimes that is pretty much needed... but my question is, does the transformer constantly used that many watts? or is that just momentary usaged when the chimes are running? Thanks!
It means that the Transformer has the capacity for using equipment up to the Amperage or wattage rating. The Transformer itself is using a negligible amount of power when the induced secondary voltage is picked up due to the collapsing field in the primary. (Now, I know this was too complicated and not necessary for practical usage. But some Theory is worth reviewing, sometimes.)

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 522

Doorbell transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
It means that the Transformer has the capacity for using equipment up to the Amperage or wattage rating. The Transformer itself is using a negligible amount of power when the induced secondary voltage is picked up due to the collapsing field in the primary. (Now, I know this was too complicated and not necessary for practical usage. But some Theory is worth reviewing, sometimes.)
That's how I thought it worked, thanks for confirming it for me!
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Doorbell transformer

An energy saving design of wired doorbells is...

To use a regular 120 volt type electrical box at the front door, a blank cover plate, and a momentary push button switch rated for at least 120 volts. Then drill a hole for the switch in the center of the blank cover plate. And install using regular romex wire like you would a 120 volt light switch.

Then you would need to use an old fashioned "ding dong" door bell, bell, or buzzer. (Electronic doorbells need "always on" electricity to work right.)

Wire the momentary push button switch to power on the 120 volt side of the doorbell transformer. Wire the secondary side of the transformer directly to the doorbell.

Push the button and it powers on the transformer and then the doorbell. Release the button and it uses no electricity.

If the button is in a wet area, the power for this circuit would need to come from a GFCI protected circuit.

I used a brass blank plate for my doorbell and it looks like this...
(Metal plate grounded)
Attached Thumbnails
Doorbell transformer-doorbellbutton3sm.jpg  
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Doorbell transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
does the transformer constantly used that many watts? or is that just momentary usaged when the chimes are running? Thanks!
"A transformer is designed so that the magnetizing current is a small fraction of the normal load current, usually only a few per cent."
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote