Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:09 AM   #1

Share |

doorbell transformer

do all doorbells have a transformer? I cant find one, cant even find the bell! trying to see if I can fix the door bell on a house I recently bought. has never worked since I have taken possesion.
no transformer or bell near button or electrical panel, where else should I look?

treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #2

doorbell transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat
do all doorbells have a transformer? I cant find one, cant even find the bell! trying to see if I can fix the door bell on a house I recently bought. has never worked since I have taken possesion.
no transformer or bell near button or electrical panel, where else should I look?
If your basement ceiling is still exposed I would look for the transformer attached to a junction box somewhere or attached to one of those plain pull string light switches that are common in unfinished spaces. You can also look for the wiring in ceiling as well. I usually start by going to the spot in the basement underneath the doorbell and start following the cable back to the transformer and it will also provide some hint as to where the chime unit is as well as they are all wired together (assuming not wireless).

clydesdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #3

doorbell transformer

If there is a button by the door, remove it.
If it holds a battery (no wires to it), someone removed the wireless doorbell.
If there are wires behind it, the house was once wired for a doorbell, and over time it must have been removed.
Older homes had small individual bell wires, usually they were tan in color, and were easily damaged.
Homes built since the 60's typically have brown, "thermostat" wire installed for the doorbell.
Do It Right is offline   Reply With Quote