Doorbell Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Doorbell help

Our doorbell has been not working for sometime now. I am finally getting around to looking at it. I really don't know where to start with this system. It is an older model, but through fidgeting with it would sometimes work for a month or so then not work, I would open it up again and it work work and now ti has not in the last 4 months. Here are some pics, I hope the clarity is good enough to read the diagram if there are any questions on what it says just ask and I can see it pretty well, the camera did not like it very much is all. There are a total of six wires going to the box, 3 red and 3 white the white are together and each red went into one of three screws. Also looking at the diagram I realized there is another door bell in the back, I have never known that one to work since we bought the house 13 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Doorbell help-hpim0215.jpg   Doorbell help-hpim0217.jpg   Doorbell help-hpim0214.jpg  

Advertisement

ahsmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,354

Doorbell help

Connect and AC volt meter( or use a test light that will measure down to 12 volts) from the 3 whites bundled to each one of the reds consecutively. You should find one that reads from 14 to 28 volts AC. If you get voltage, connect that red to the chime TRANS. terminal. Breifly touch the 3 bundled whites to the FRONT terminal, chime should ring. If it rings skip down to the PB section If it does not replace the chime.
If you have no red with voltage go to transformer location (possibly at circuit breaker box or mounted on a junction box in attic or garage) Test terminals with meter looking for 14 to 28 volts. No voltage - verify transformer connected to 120VAC. If connect to 120 VAC and no 14 - 28 volts, replace transformer. If you get 14 - 28 volts the problem is in wiring to chime.
PB Connect both reds to the FRONT terminal. Remove PB(push button) and touch the 2 wires together. If it rings, replace the PB , if not wiring to chime is bad.
Once you get it working , disconnect one of the reds from the FRONT terminal. Test again, if it works connect the open wire to the REAR terminal, if not connect the other wire to the FRONT and the last wire to the REAR.
Now go to the rear PB and connect wires together, if it rings replace PB, if not wiring to chime is bad.

Advertisement

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #3

Doorbell help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Connect and AC volt meter( or use a test light that will measure down to 12 volts) from the 3 whites bundled to each one of the reds consecutively. You should find one that reads from 14 to 28 volts AC. If you get voltage, connect that red to the chime TRANS. terminal. Breifly touch the 3 bundled whites to the FRONT terminal
I don't understand what you mean by attach it to the chime TRANS terminal, there are three connections on the chime box as shown in pic. Do you mean one of those? If so which? Also what are you referring the FRONT terminal to? Does that diagrahm somehow show me specifically where in the chime box it needs to be connected to? I am really confused. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #4

Doorbell help

OK, I understand how to read the diagram now. I'll post back on what happens. thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #5

Doorbell help

OK, I used a voltage meter to try and test the white bundle with one of the reds. None of them did anything. So I would assume that there is no power getting to the wires?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #6

Doorbell help

It does not seem to work one day and not the other, rather long periods were it will not work then suddenly work for a month, sometimes with me doing nothing to it. That is why I am confused on what could be going on. By the way the front bottom has been replaced within the last three years. The button on there now has worked in the past. I looked at the button and no corrosion, rust, bugs or dirt. Still looks new.

What just happened to "jrclen"'s post that I was responding to? It was just here?

Last edited by ahsmike; 06-17-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Doorbell help

Find the transformer. If it works some days and not others it makes me think the transformer is on a circuit controlled by a switch. Some thing is shuting off the power.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #8

Doorbell help

Thanks for the help, I checked the Transformer and it had a loose wire. I reconnected it and I got the front door bell to work but the second bell will not. I touched the wires together and the door bell went off so I guess I just need a new button for teh back. Thanks for all your help. Question though, why is there a door bell in the back of the house, I could never understand that? LOL?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Doorbell help

Some people might go to the back instead of the front. Down South we tend to do that

That is why your chime rings differently for the front and back -- Yankee at the front door, Redneck out back
Old 06-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Doorbell help

That was back when you had no fences and neighbors would come to visit. Most friends came to the back door because they did not want to track up your nice living room. Now we shoot anyone that comes to the back door.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #11

Doorbell help

lol, I can maybe understand that but the house is not that old probably 1985. Oh well.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #12

Doorbell help

it does not work again. It worked for about a day and a half. I did not change anything on it was put back together and worked OK.

ALSO NOW MY AC WILL NOT TURN ON, THAT HAS POWER
Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Doorbell help

You didn't disconnect a thermostat wire did you? Confusing it with the door bell wire? It might just be a coincidence about the AC but maybe not.

Here is a link to help you trouble shoot the door bell circuit.

http://www.forteelectric.com/Doorbell.html
Old 06-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #14

Doorbell help

No everything was working fine and I hadn't done anything. Then I started having the problems, I believe they are unrelated.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #15
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Doorbell help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsmike View Post
No everything was working fine and I hadn't done anything. Then I started having the problems, I believe they are unrelated.
When the doorbell is not working, you need to check voltage at the transformer. Both sides. Then go from there.

Advertisement

Tags
door bell , doorbell