Doorbell Headache! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Doorbell headache!

Hereís the issue.

Iím trying to wire a doorbell.

The wires coming from the house are live (one white, one black). They run through a metal conduit to the metal junction box. From there they connect to a pull cord light that was attached to the front of the junction box. Then they come off the light and go to the transformer. There is power going from the house to the light (light comes on), so I know the wires are live. However, even by removing the light and wiring straight to the house wires, the power doesnít come out of the transformer. (At least, not that I can tell because I hooked up my voltage light (two wires with a light at the end)) and there is nothing when I touch the two screws on the transformer.

I hooked the white house wire to the black wire on the transformer and the black house wire to the other black wire on the transformer. The transformer instructions donít specify they need to be hooked up specifically to certain wires as both wires are black coming out of the transformer. It just says hook up to one black wire and the other to the other black wire. I then hooked the green wire (the third wire) from the transformer (ground) to one of the junction box screws so that should complete the ground need (but I was told you donít need the ground to make it work, itís just for safety).

This isnít a hard wiring that I can see and itís driving me nutsÖ

Thanks for helping me out.

Advertisement

Getalinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Doorbell headache!

Is this a new transformer?

DM

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #3

Doorbell headache!

There was one already attached to the junction box and it had the same situation, so I went out and bought a new one from Menard's yesterday and tried that one in there. Same issue. So, as of right now, yes, it's new transformer.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
the Musigician

Doorbell headache!

"even by removing the light and wiring straight to the house wires, the power doesn’t come out of the transformer. (At least, not that I can tell because I hooked up my voltage light (two wires with a light at the end)) and there is nothing when I touch the two screws on the transformer."

I don't think a 2-wire AC tester will show anything when you do this, no. It's already transformed to DC at that point.
Do you have a multimeter? I'm thinking it's doing what it's supposed to do.

DM
Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,564

Doorbell headache!

It is only 16 or 24 volts. Your light tester might not light up at the low voltage.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #6

Doorbell headache!

Yes, it's 16V. It's a tester I received as a combo pack. Do you think the transformer is working and I just can't tell? Should I buy a multimeter and what kind?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Doorbell headache!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getalinks View Post
Yes, it's 16V. It's a tester I received as a combo pack. Do you think the transformer is working and I just can't tell? Should I buy a multimeter and what kind?
What do you mean "a combo pack?" If the tester is a neon light, it won't light up with 16VAC. I thought most doorbells went to 24VAC.
If the doorbell unit isn't too hard to remove, you could take it down and connect it directly to the transformer. It is low voltage so it not too dangerous to work with it. Connect one wire from the transformer to one screw on the doorbell. Connect another wire to the other screw on the transformer and then just touch the other end to the other screw on the doorbell. It should make some noise.
Otherwise go buy a meter. You can get an OK meter for not much money.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
the Musigician

Doorbell headache!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getalinks View Post
Do you think the transformer is working and I just can't tell?
I'd guess yes. Hook the doorbell to it and find out?

DM
Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
the Musigician

Doorbell headache!

The double doorbell unit I put in the B.A.R.B. box runs off a 9v DC battery. If I connected AC current to it, it'd likely toast it.
So you guys are saying he has a 16 to 24 volt __AC__ solenoid doorbell? Isn't the transformer for transforming AC to DC???

DM
Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
I=E/R

Doorbell headache!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
The double doorbell unit I put in the B.A.R.B. box runs off a 9v DC battery. If I connected AC current to it, it'd likely toast it.
So you guys are saying he has a 16 to 24 volt __AC__ solenoid doorbell? Isn't the transformer for transforming AC to DC???

DM
Transformers are used to change AC voltage level. A rectifier/diode changes AC to DC

Last edited by a7ecorsair; 06-29-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
I=E/R

Doorbell headache!

Geta,
Let's back up a little. Did this doorbell ever work or are you installing a new doorbell to an existing doorbell circuit? You said there was a transformer already wired up.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #12

Doorbell headache!

Alright, I don't want to be one of those people who gets the info he needs and vanishes. Plus, I'll probably be here a lot more from now on.

Back story. I just bought the house a month ago and I'm repairing the little things here and there that I find. Yay me. Next is why the outside outlet below the doorbell isn't working...

So, here's the finale of the story. So, I went back to Menard's and purchased a new transformer. I accidentally touched the ground to the negetive house wire last night before I did this and there were some sparks so figured it was blown anyway at that point.

Didn't buy a multimeter, because I was going to try a7ecorsair's idea of just hooking the bell up off the transformer. There was a ding, so thanks a7ecorsair. Seems my little light couldn't sense the power from a 16V trans.

I hooked everything up and discovered after multiple trips up and down three flights of stairs and a ladder to the attic, there was a short in the wiring from the transformer to the button. (When I wired everything it buzzed and wouldn't stop.) That is wiring I couldn't get out, so I just pulled as hard as I could, hoping to pull the wire out. Nothing.

Here's the funny part.

I went back up in the attic, rewired the button with the same wire and prayed to God that for some reason me pulling the wire taunt would fix the short.

Wired it back up again and pushed the button... ding dong.

So, learned from this experience:

1) Don't touch the ground to the house wires.
2) A little light tester will not show up a 16V transformer
3) Doorbells suck to work with.
4) Everyone here is fantastic and I will be happy to be a part of this community.

Thank you all!

Advertisement