Does This Wiring Seem Right? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barjack
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 162
Rewards Points: 314
Default

Does this wiring seem right?


I have a White Rodgers BNP150C and have to usethe 4-wire configuration, but I was under the impression that when switching a 240v circuit that both legs have to be switched.

With this wiring configuration doesn't it still leave one leg unswitched essentially still leaving the circuit/heater energized?
Attached Thumbnails
Does this wiring seem right?-wiring.png  

Advertisement

__________________
"I kissed a light socket once and woke up in a helicopter"
Killavolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 851
Rewards Points: 744
Default

Re: Does this wiring seem right?


if it's a digital thermostat which itself is always powered, there will be a very small trickle of current flowing through that heater circuit. Not enough to cause the heater to get warm though.

Advertisement

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
Electrician
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 52
Default

Re: Does this wiring seem right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Killavolt View Post
I have a White Rodgers BNP150C and have to usethe 4-wire configuration, but I was under the impression that when switching a 240v circuit that both legs have to be switched.

With this wiring configuration doesn't it still leave one leg unswitched essentially still leaving the circuit/heater energized?
A 240V circuit is just like a 120V circuit. If you interrupt any point in the circuit, current will cease to flow. Certain wires and components of the system will still be energized with a potential voltage to ground though.

Not sure about Canadian codes, but as long as that thermostat is not also the disconnecting means, it should be legal. The disconnecting means breaks all of the energized, or potentially energized conductors to the equipment so that it can be safely inspected, serviced, etc.
Speedy Petey likes this.
Barjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 162
Rewards Points: 314
Default

Re: Does this wiring seem right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjack View Post
A 240V circuit is just like a 120V circuit. If you interrupt any point in the circuit, current will cease to flow. Certain wires and components of the system will still be energized with a potential voltage to ground though.

Not sure about Canadian codes, but as long as that thermostat is not also the disconnecting means, it should be legal. The disconnecting means breaks all of the energized, or potentially energized conductors to the equipment so that it can be safely inspected, serviced, etc.
The main disconnect is mere inches away at the breaker panel.

It had better be code legal, I bought it in Canada
__________________
"I kissed a light socket once and woke up in a helicopter"
Killavolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 36
Default

Re: Does this wiring seem right?


Seems a little weird to me. I've never seen one like this in Canada. Usually both wires are switched.
cjp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 162
Rewards Points: 314
Default

Re: Does this wiring seem right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp2003 View Post
Seems a little weird to me. I've never seen one like this in Canada. Usually both wires are switched.
And that's pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well.

Advertisement

__________________
"I kissed a light socket once and woke up in a helicopter"
Killavolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Home Wiring (UPDATE) with pictures mbrando1994 Electrical 7 01-27-2016 05:59 PM
Old House Wiring Traycam Electrical 14 01-03-2015 09:31 PM
Cloth Wiring - Replace? JessicaGus Electrical 9 09-23-2009 06:45 PM
Replacing wiring in middle of run, ungrounded lighting circuit alexz Electrical 3 07-05-2007 08:53 PM
Knob & Tube wiring - How concerned should we be? hotdiggitydog Electrical 6 04-11-2006 07:52 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1