DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Does this seem wrong?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jwhite 
#1 ·
In my master bedroom, I have 2 lights mounted on the ceiling and one on the wall.

There are 2 switches on opposite sides of the room that turn the light on and off. However, the 2nd switch is kinda hard to notice, so basically I forgot about it.

A while back I replaced the main switch with (lighted) switch with the on/off flicker and dimmer slider.

I then decided to change out all 3 light bulbs to CFLs. Of course this doesn't work with a dimmer - I got that funny buzzing sound.

OK, so I went and replaced that with a (lighted) decora switch, single pole. Turned it on, everything's good.

Saw the 2nd switch (that I forgot about), hit that switch, and the lights went off. Hit the switch again, the lights came on.

So my question is, is it wrong that the 1st switch is a single-pole switch? Or should that be a 3-way?

Follow up question:

What type of switch do I replace the 2nd one with? Single pole or 3-way?

Thanks.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Regarding the white stub if its not stripped then I think the person who wired it probably just used two two wire cables instead of one three wire.

Its probably best to check it with a meter to be sure. Make sure its not hot and check it to ground to make sure its not a neutral for some other circuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.