Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #1

Share |

Does the romex need to be in Electrical Conduit

I have an older home and i wanted to add a new 15 amp breaker for a circuit for the outlets for my upstairs. I noticed that the existing old black romex runs from the circuit breaker in electrical conduit in my walls. There is no way i can get more romex through that conduit. Can i add the romex outside the electrical conduit? i am not really sure why they ran through the conduit to begin with.

naty0629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #2

you can fish romex through wall cavities, etc. in finished areas.

this assumes you are not in chicago or similar where nm cable is not allowed.

itsnotrequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Cruising into the sunset

Local code may require all electric in exposed areas to be in conduit. That means you must run, at a minimum, conduit from the panel up into the wall cavity.

If that's the case and you want to add another circuit from the panel, you would have to install a conduit from the panel up into a wall cavity before abandoning the conduit run. From there you can run just the romex.

If you take the romex into the attic, local code may also require conduit in exposed areas there too.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Local code may require all electric in exposed areas to be in conduit. That means you must run, at a minimum, conduit from the panel up into the wall cavity.

If that's the case and you want to add another circuit from the panel, you would have to install a conduit from the panel up into a wall cavity before abandoning the conduit run. From there you can run just the romex.

If you take the romex into the attic, local code may also require conduit in exposed areas there too.

ok the conduit does run through the attic so i guess i just have to run additional conduit just for that circuit..in the attic are, i live in New Jersey. then through the walls i can just run the romex.
naty0629 is offline   Reply With Quote