Does NEC Rules For JBox Include This? - Pic - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Does NEC rules for JBox include this? - pic

While, technically, the joist with the JBox shown are not load bearing (it supported a formica 'false' ceiling) I don't think the NEC rules for JBoxes encompass this use.

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Not the prettest box I've seen, but it seems to be installed in a way as to be flush with the ceiling.
As long as the box is mounted to something properly, I think it could be allowed.

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

The Jbox is NOT screwed to the T&G (that's 9 inches above, I guess it's a little hard to tell from the pic). It's screwed to the plank on the left and right by way of the knock-outs and a few really big washers. The planks were toenailed to the adjacent joists and did not connect to each other - just the JBox.

I hate to see what would have happened if they hung a light fixture that weighed more than a pound or two.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

I can see it better now that you explained it to me.
Must be a light, light!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
While, technically, the joist with the JBox shown are not load bearing (it supported a formica 'false' ceiling) I don't think the NEC rules for JBoxes encompass this use.

314.23 (D) says:

(D) Suspended Ceilings. An enclosure mounted to structural or supporting elements of a suspended ceiling shall be not more than 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in size and shall be securely fastened in place in accordance with either (D)(1) or (D)(2).
(1) Framing Members. An enclosure shall be fastened to the framing members by mechanical means such as bolts, screws, or rivets, or by the use of clips or other securing means identified for use with the type of ceiling framing member(s) and enclosure(s) employed. The framing members shall be adequately supported and securely fastened to each other and to the building structure.
(2) Support Wires. The installation shall comply with the provisions of 300.11(A). The enclosure shall be secured, using methods identified for the purpose, to ceiling support wire(s), including any additional support wire(s) installed for that purpose. Support wire(s) used for enclosure support shall be fastened at each end so as to be taut within the
ceiling cavity.

I guess it is somewhat subjective as to whether this is properly supported under the NEC, but I would subjectively say, no. It just doesn't look supported by either a framing member or approved support wire system.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
The Jbox is NOT screwed to the T&G (that's 9 inches above, I guess it's a little hard to tell from the pic). It's screwed to the plank on the left and right by way of the knock-outs and a few really big washers. The planks were toenailed to the adjacent joists and did not connect to each other - just the JBox.

I hate to see what would have happened if they hung a light fixture that weighed more than a pound or two.
That's a big 'fail' on the adequate support provision. At least here in Louisville, this wouldn't pass.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

I don't think a load bearing jbox would pass anywhere.

Advertisement

Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote