Does This Lighting Diagram Work? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Does this lighting diagram work?

Attached is a document of a wiring diagram. Does this wiring diagram make sense? Having a hard time understanding one of the diagrams I found online.

Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Does this lighting diagram work?-outlet-wiring.png  

Advertisement

Mdwagner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdwagner2 View Post
Attached is a document of a wiring diagram. Does this wiring diagram make sense? Having a hard time understanding one of the diagrams I found online.

Thanks,
Mark
Yes. There are also other ways to wire it. Black, white and ground from one receptacle to the next.
I just realized the title of your post was lighting diagram. That would not be the way to wire switched lights if you wanted a hot outlet all the time.

Advertisement

Last edited by Robpo; 06-15-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
Yes. There are also other ways to wire it. Black, white and ground from one receptacle to the next.
I just realized the title of your post was lighting diagram. That would not be the way to wire switched lights if you wanted a hot outlet all the time.
Sorry Lighting Diagram was probably the wrong title (I was going to add a few more outlets and then switches with lights but did not want it to get redundant.)

From what I understand 14/2 NM-B wire I could have 8-9 wires coming in on a 120V circuit. I am replacing some old tube and knob wiring and its a lot easier to do it with a junction box than using a more traditional method.

Here is a follow up question, does the wire running to the circuit board just need to be 14/2? Are you allowed to mix wires (if one of my outlets was 12/2 would it need to be on a different circuit or could it be in the same junction box?)
Mdwagner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
Rob

Rewards Points: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdwagner2 View Post
Sorry Lighting Diagram was probably the wrong title (I was going to add a few more outlets and then switches with lights but did not want it to get redundant.)

From what I understand 14/2 NM-B wire I could have 8-9 wires coming in on a 120V circuit. I am replacing some old tube and knob wiring and its a lot easier to do it with a junction box than using a more traditional method.

Here is a follow up question, does the wire running to the circuit board just need to be 14/2? Are you allowed to mix wires (if one of my outlets was 12/2 would it need to be on a different circuit or could it be in the same junction box?)
It depends on where the wires would be going to(apliances, lights). If you are going to use 15 amp circuit breakers you can run 14 guage wire or larger. If you are using 20 amp circuit breakers you cannot use 14guage wire only 12 guage or larger. You can use 15 or 20 amp breakers in your panel.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Ive been told that dumping your ground to a box is bad, and shouldnt be done, unless the box itself is specifically grounded properly?
Spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,870

What do you mean dumping the ground to a box? The ground is only for the event like a fault or short circuit. Also a metal box is required to be bonded to ground.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

I'm basing my comment on the diagram. It looks like the ground is wired to the box, and not a ground running from the electrical wiring. I was under the understanding (I'm NOT an electrician, so bare with my ignorance), that grounding to a metal box that itself is not grounded to a wired ground is both bad, and against code in many places in North America ?
Old 06-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

I am not seeing what you are seeing. However, if metal, the box should be bonded to ground. If the incoming power did not contain a ground the rest of the receptacles could not be grounded even if they had a grounding conductor. The junction box would be floating.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #9

It could just be a diagram error...
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

I think that was meant to come out of the conduit.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
Electrican

Rewards Points: 1,582

Diagram error

Advertisement

Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote