Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #1

Share |

Does a dishwasher need it's own circuit?

My husband and I are having a dishwasher installed (where we didn't have one before)and while we are not doing it ourselves.. I have a question. We just had the guy out here who is going to do it.. he's been doing this type of work for 20 years. There is an outlet on the wall right above where the dishwasher is going... and he said that he can tap into that outlet to make the new one for the dishwasher. Well, I know he's an expert and he's been doing it forever. But everyone I've talked to has said it needs to be on it's own circuit!? Is this true or not? This guy acted like it's not a big deal to do it this way. All of the big appliances such as the fridge, stove, etc are on their own circuits/breakers. The kitchen is small.. so there are like 3 regular outlets, the overhead light and the garbage disposal is on it. It really isn't much. So would adding a dishwasher overload it? I was just wanting to get some other thoughts and opinions before we hire this guy to do the job.

mhp8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Electrician

I don't beleive there is a code staying it has to be on its own circuit, but he can not take power off the kitchen counter plug for this.

I would recommend running a new circuit for this, most dishwashers take 10-12A if I remember correctly. Not sure if you need a disconnect for it, in Canada you don't but the american code may say otherwise.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:
plummen (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

It may not be a big deal to him, but as Darren pointed out it is a code violation to share the small appliance branch circuits.
plummen (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #4

wishwasher needs to be on a designated circuit to be code....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (04-15-2013), plummen (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Most newer dishwashers have a water heater in them to raise the temp. above the required 120 Deg. to aid in disinfection which draws a lot of power, they also do not need to be on a GFI circut, plus it's code.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
I=E/R

Since the disposal should also be on its own circuit, you could fix that at the same time by pulling what is called a multiwire branch circuit to support both the new dishwasher and the disposal. Of course you might run into a problem at the breaker panel because you would need two adjacent spaces for the breaker.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
wishwasher needs to be on a designated circuit to be code....
Code reference, please.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
brric (12-30-2011), mpoulton (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #8

The dishwasher we bought does have a feature that steam cleans the dishes better.. and makes them hotter to disinfect. So it sounds like it's pretty much unanimous and should be on it's own circuit.. just like the stove and fridge are.

We will call him and talk to him about this.. and basically just say we want it done that way. Surely it's not that much harder? He didn't say he was going to plug it into that outlet.. he said we would tap into those wires? Don't know if that means anything different. What would happen if we let him do that? Would it just blow the breaker all the time? Is it a fire hazard? Just wondering. If it is.. then I want it done on a separate circuit. We are about to have a baby and I don't really want to have any hazards in the house like that.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Code reference, please.
can't recall the exact article think its 422-16....reguardless look at d.w installation instructions....under electrical... supply a single 15-or 20 amp circuit... and lets be real common sense dealing with electric and how it works should tell us alot ....i also think the code says something about single circuits on motors in kitchen.......hope that helps........keep in mind its safty 1st

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 12-30-2011 at 06:51 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #10

My husband left a message for the guy asking about it.. we'll see what he says. It makes me nervous that he wants to tap into those wires if it's not safe??

I don't want to put him down or anything.. if he's been doing this stuff for 20 years.. he helped a friend of ours totally rewire his house 13 years ago...it's frustrating.. He will probably put in a new circuit.. but how much more work/money would that usually take?

Last edited by mhp8982; 12-30-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

If he has been doing this a long time and is not just the ole handy man he will be aware of the electrical codes for kitchens. It sounds like he is suggesting using a counter top receptacle to source power for the dishwasher. This has been a code violation for many years. It isn't necessary dangerous. However it will rob too much power from that circuit causing possible tripping of the circuit breaker when the dishwasher and something else (toaster?) would be operating at the same time. The dishwasher is a fixed in place appliance and there are also rules to follow and code requirements for these type installations.
Your installation instructions that come with your new dishwasher will give the electrical requirements. It will either say the dishwasher requires an individual branch circuit serving only the dishwasher or that they recommend your dishwasher be on one. Many local codes over-ride the national code and many require a dishwasher to be on a individual (dedicated) 20 amp branch circuit.

So it sounds like your installer is not up on codes and pays little attention to manufacturers instructions for the electrical supply.

It is also not so easy sometimes to run a new branch circuit and could run into hundreds of dollars in order to do so ...it depends on several factors.

Stubbie

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
Licensed electrician

Besides being a code violation by sharing a circuit that should not be shared the instructions will tell you the DW needs its own circuit.

If this is ignored the circuit will likely trip when you try to use other appliances while doing the dishes.

You are paying to have this done and it should be done correctly, not half arsed.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Beat ya Jim ... How are things over at inspection news ... I'm Roger on that forum ....

Stubbie
Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #14

Thanks everyone.. I definitely want it done right. My husband and I have been arguing about it.. he thinks we should trust this guy.. and I"m saying I want to trust what everything else says.. and play it safe. Surely it wouldn't be much more expensive or harder for him to just run the new circuit right?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
UAW SKILLED TRADES

The dishwasher is required to be installed to local code requirements along with the national electrical code and manufacturers instructions.

Cost will vary depending on the work that needs to be done to get a branch circuit to the dishwasher location from the electrical panel.

Stubbie