Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Enormous Member

Share |

Does anyone make warm-light LED's?

I'm looking to put in some under cabinet lights... and would really like to go with LED because of the whole temperature thing and not having to replace expensive halogens.. etc..

However... I can't seem to find any warm-light LED under-cabinet lights.. like 3000 kelvin or less.

I bought some 13 LED puck lights from HD thinking they might look okay... the output seemed pretty good brightness-wise.. and it wasn't that flickering-purpleish LED light.. it was nice and white, but the light was just too cool and stuck out from the rest of my kitchen lighting.

Has anyone had any luck finding puck-style LED lights that are warmer colored?

skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #2

I have done some business with this place:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b.../led_prods.htm

They appear to have something that may fit your needs.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Enormous Member

Thanks oberkc, but their undercabs look like they only have one LED in them. I'm wondering how bright the output would be.

I'm going to return the ones I got and maybe take a look at these compact fluorescent lights:

http://www.environmentallights.com/c...-cabinet-pucks

Home Depot had them on display.. only I don't recall them being as expensive. They look like they only come in white.. or off-white housings though, which doesn't really match anything in my kitchen. I liked that the LED's came in a fake brushed pewter and looked much more sleek than these more bulky CF's.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #4

I bought the LED brushed under cabinet lights from HD, 12 LED's
I like the bright crisp white light, very nice for cooking etc

My last house I had Halogen pucks on a dimmer
That was very nice as I could turn them down at night
Enough light to go in the kitchen without any other light

LED's can vary in wattage...from very little for (1) to a 1w LED
So you could have 5 LED's that are dimmer then (1) 1w LED
They also have different angles of light
Wide - 30 degree, narrow 60 degree
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I bought the LED brushed under cabinet lights from HD, 12 LED's
Why would you put lights under counters?
busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #6

at my age and eyesight more light = good
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
at my age and eyesight more light = good
I'm not questioning the value of more light. I just don't know why/how you would put it under the counters.

Mark
busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks oberkc, but their undercabs look like they only have one LED in them. I'm wondering how bright the output would be.
I would not be too quick to discount these because of light output. I use a variety of these in landscape lighting and there are different types of LEDs. Some are pretty bright. Look at the specs for lumens and compare to the other types you are considering.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #9

I could be wrong but to produce a good warm LED it requires 3 colors of LEDs R,G,B and mixed and tuned to produce a whitish light. This comes in a fixture with the lense like the Cree products

Most single color LED will be a blue tint as they are over 6500k color +.. they call it bright white but it's blue..
DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
I could be wrong but to produce a good warm LED it requires 3 colors of LEDs R,G,B and mixed and tuned to produce a whitish light.
This may have been true in the recent past, but I understand it to be no longer true. Interesting enough, light created by mixing RGB can cast funny tones on certain colors and is one of the reasons that stage lighting is not moving this way more quickly.

All of my warm-white LEDs are single element, rather than red-green-blue combos.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
This may have been true in the recent past, but I understand it to be no longer true. Interesting enough, light created by mixing RGB can cast funny tones on certain colors and is one of the reasons that stage lighting is not moving this way more quickly.

All of my warm-white LEDs are single element, rather than red-green-blue combos.
Cree LEDs have a CRI of 90+ I would say that is pretty good. What product are you using do you know the CRI of it? I have 6 in my kitchen and the color rendition is pretty good. Much better than fluorescent tube anyway.

I also have used another brand of LED recessed puck above my sink that is also a mixed color unit and that one has a bit of blue tint to it. It's for marine 12V application, about $100 each and that's the best one I could found at the time without the heat of halogens.
DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #12

I use, among others, these in my landscape lights requiring a wedge-base lamp:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...6.htm%23MALIBU

This site also sells LED lamps for 12v bi-pin lamps, which I also use. They advertise these as 3300K, and they look good to me. I have close to 30 fixtures in my landscape and use less than 40 watts total. I suffer none of the voltage drop typically associated with higher power, even at the end of 200ft of cable.

I also purchased an LED-based fixture at home depot. While I don't remember the color, it appears to me to be very similar to halogen. I am very happy with it so far.

The only remaining question in my mind is longevity. I have had these for just over a year without failure yet. They have already proven better than halogen in this regard, but we will see if they last 20 years.

I am unfamiliar with CRI. Sorry.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #13

http://www.polar-ray.com/ they sell the best LED bulbs out there
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #14

I picked up 40 cool white MR16 LED setups as part of a Christmas group buy about 1.5 years ago
I should have bought some warm white, but did not
They were $4.25 each
The connection lead was extra...forget how much they were
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
Enormous Member

I took the LED pucks back and exchanged them for the CFL pucks.

The color on the CFL is much closer to what I was looking for.. however, they are BRIGHT. There's 3 in a pack and they only give you about 18" of wire to put in between them.

I have a horseshoe kitchen so, I have two sets of three on either side plugged into switched outlets above the cabinets.

With all three burning, It's a little brighter than I was looking for... so, I've just been shutting off the middle puck (each puck has its own switch as well). If I ever need to perform surgery or cut diamonds on my countertop, I'll turn the middle pucks back on. They have pretty good dispersion, so the two end pucks about 4' apart fill up my counter space pretty well.

They're a little slow to "boot up"... and it takes a few minutes for them to reach full brightness. The bulbs actually get pretty warm to the touch.. warmer than I would've thought from a CFL. But I don't really feel them through the cabinet.. the base must isulate them pretty well.

Other than that, I like them.. the added light makes my kitchen look much bigger than it is.