Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 257
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


Does a 240v air compressor use less energy than a comparable 120v unit?

mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,252
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


I'll take a shot at this:

Volts (pressure) x Amps (size of line) = Watts (energy used)

A 240v/20a device would certainly use more than a 120v/21a device.

Think of it like water:
75 PSI in a 1" pipe uses more Gallons Per Minute than 25 PSI in a 1" pipe.

Right?

__________________
Andrew

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Downriver Michigan
Posts: 86
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


No...

A 240V air compressor has the "potential" to use more energy than a 120V model but that is not always the case.

Check the nameplate to see either the watts or the current of the device. As secutanudu mentioned...

Energy = Watts

Energy = Voltage * Current
DownRiverGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,865
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DownRiverGuy View Post
No...

A 240V air compressor has the "potential" to use more energy than a 120V model but that is not always the case.

Check the nameplate to see either the watts or the current of the device. As secutanudu mentioned...

Energy = Watts

Energy = Voltage * Current
I agree. A watt is a watt. 2400 watts @ 240 volts is the same as 2400 watts @ 120 volts.
Power is measured in watts.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 257
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


So if you've got a compressor that is capable of running on either 120 or 240, are you better off running on 120 or 240? I assume the motor would run more efficiently on 240. What do you folks think?
mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,865
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
I'll take a shot at this:

Volts (pressure) x Amps (size of line) = Watts (energy used)

A 240v/20a device would certainly use more than a 120v/21a device.

Think of it like water:
75 PSI in a 1" pipe uses more Gallons Per Minute than 25 PSI in a 1" pipe.

Right?
You have to compare the same devices or equipment. In your example you would need a 120 volt device that draws 40 amps not 21 amps.

When you double the voltage the amperage decreases by 50%

A certain motor uses 4800 watts. Wired for 240 volts it will draw 20 amps. Wired at 120 volts it wil dra 40 amps.

Last edited by brric; 03-10-2010 at 01:28 PM.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,865
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowers View Post
So if you've got a compressor that is capable of running on either 120 or 240, are you better off running on 120 or 240? I assume the motor would run more efficiently on 240. What do you folks think?
The issue becomes voltage drop and wire size. 240 volt motors can be supplied with lower amperage circuits than the same motor using 120 volts
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Just call me Andrew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,252
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


I stand corrected! I had a feeling it was more complicated than it seemed.
__________________
Andrew

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,865
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
I stand corrected! I had a feeling it was more complicated than it seemed.
No problem. I consider it a bad day if I don't learn something new each day.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 257
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


Thanks for the replies! Do you think the difference in voltage drop would be significant?
mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,865
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowers View Post
Thanks for the replies! Do you think the difference in voltage drop would be significant?
Depend upon how far the unit is from the elecrical panel and upon the current draw of the compressor.

Let me ask. Do you even have 240 volts available at the location where you intend to use the compressor?
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 257
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Depend upon how far the unit is from the elecrical panel and upon the current draw of the compressor.

Let me ask. Do you even have 240 volts available at the location where you intend to use the compressor?
I actually have a 240v compressor in my garage already. I just started this thread as a hypothetical question.

My compressor is pretty far from the panel (say 75 feet). The circuit I have is rated for 50 amps and uses aluminum wire, however I replaced the breaker with a 30a breaker as recommended by the compressor mfg.. The compressor draws 17amps I believe. What would be the voltage drop on this circuit? What about if it were wired into a 120v circuit w/ 10-2?
mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
Experienced goon
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 57
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


http://www.csgnetwork.com/voltagedropcalc.html
jpelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,865
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowers View Post
I actually have a 240v compressor in my garage already. I just started this thread as a hypothetical question.

My compressor is pretty far from the panel (say 75 feet). The circuit I have is rated for 50 amps and uses aluminum wire, however I replaced the breaker with a 30a breaker as recommended by the compressor mfg.. The compressor draws 17amps I believe. What would be the voltage drop on this circuit? What about if it were wired into a 120v circuit w/ 10-2?
What is Al wire size?
If 17 amps is the draw@240 volts then the draw would be 34 amps @120 volts.
Need the wire size to calculat voltage drop.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 257
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Does 240v use less energy than 120v?


I'm not sure of the wire size. But it would be whatever size needed for a 50amp circuit. I do know that the wire is aluminum. It looks really big to my untrained eye.

mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
240v Air Compressor to 120v help ruacoltsnut General DIY Discussions 10 11-11-2010 04:05 PM
Pulling 120V outlet from a 240V circuit? npage148 Electrical 12 11-08-2009 11:29 AM
Do you think a tool running at 240v works better than at 120v? Piedmont Electrical 39 07-03-2009 09:50 PM
Understanding 120V branch loads in 100A 240V system WaldenL Electrical 17 02-17-2009 09:15 AM
Cattle waterer 240V - also need 120v! 2wheelinusa Electrical 6 10-05-2008 06:39 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.