Do They Make This Type Of Plug? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 104
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


I need a standard 110v female plug that I can splice into an extension cord. Basically, I need to add outlets in the middle of the cord.

Advertisement

pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Residential Contractor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 134
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


Yikes, I don't think anyone here will want to touch that one without further information.

The do make extension cords with that type of set up, but depending on what you are using it for, it may not be a good idea.

Advertisement


Last edited by rselectric1; 10-13-2009 at 07:03 PM.
rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 104
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post
Yikes, I don't think anyone here will want to touch that one without further information.

The do make extension cords with that type of set up, but depending on what you are using it for, it may not be a good idea.
It is just to power led lights. They run at less than a 1/2 amp a piece.
pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Wire Chewer
 
Red Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,221
Rewards Points: 2,020
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


Are you looking for some kind of vampire tap? Sounds unsafe.

What you could do, and I've actually seen this done by the maintenance guys at the hospital I work at, is to get a 3 gang box and run the wire to it, wire it then you have 6 plugs. I've been thinking of doing a large scale version of this at home for my computer equipment instead of having like 5 power bars. Lot of the items take up lot of space (adapters) so while I may have like 20 plugs does not mean I'm using them all. Basically a custom PDU. Make sure you use 12 or 14 awg extension cable with ground. May as well play it safe if it's being used in a permanent situation.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Residential Contractor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 134
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


I'm sure you can cobble something together that will work, and they definately make the kind of female receptacle I think you are talking about. However, safety should be of primary concern.

Anytime you break into a factory sealed extension cord, you must think of how the splices will be protected from weather, strain, etc. If this is for any type of permanant use, definately don't do it.
rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 104
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


I think some people do use lamp cord and snap type splicers for what I'm trying to do. I wanted to actually use an extension cord with some type of connector in the middle. I guess I'm looking for something more heavy duty than just a lamp cord with self tapping connectors. I don't want to use gang boxes because of the bulkiness.
pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Member
 
300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 630
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


Hope you live close to a Fire department if you decide to rig up ext cords
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
Residential Contractor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 134
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


They make heavy duty extension cords with several places along it's length that can be plugged into. I don't own one because I have never needed one (but have plugged into them many times on jobsites). I would guess that you could find one on line or possibly at a supply house.

That would be the way to go. All is safe and sound!
rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Member
 
300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 630
Rewards Points: 500
Post

Do they make this type of plug?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post
They make heavy duty extension cords with several places along it's length that can be plugged into. I don't own one because I have never needed one (but have plugged into them many times on jobsites). I would guess that you could find one on line or possibly at a supply house.

That would be the way to go. All is safe and sound!
Seen them also seems like lowes but maybe supply shop
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


I buy lamp cord in 250-1000' spools & use vampire taps for my Christmas display
For Temp use only



I also have premade cords with triple taps along the length
And a premade heavy duty cord that has plugs along the length
Check the Christmas decorations area
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 105
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I buy lamp cord in 250-1000' spools & use vampire taps for my Christmas display
For Temp use only



I also have premade cords with triple taps along the length
And a premade heavy duty cord that has plugs along the length
Check the Christmas decorations area
You may want to discuss this with your insurance company, I would almost guarantee if you have a fire that can be traced back to this wiring method they will not pay. Just sayin, CYA!

I would go the premade heavy duty cord route and toss the homemade zipcord contraption, JMO!



PS. electricity and/or fire doesn't know the difference between "temporary" and "permanent" wiring.
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 AM   #12
Member
 
GetYourShineBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx View Post
Hope you live close to a Fire department if you decide to rig up ext cords
lol..
GetYourShineBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,510
Rewards Points: 2,008
Default

Do they make this type of plug?


Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFD6 View Post
You may want to discuss this with your insurance company, I would almost guarantee if you have a fire that can be traced back to this wiring method they will not pay. Just sayin, CYA!

I would go the premade heavy duty cord route and toss the homemade zipcord contraption, JMO!



PS. electricity and/or fire doesn't know the difference between "temporary" and "permanent" wiring.
What Dave is using are UL listed for what he uses them for (temporary Christmas light display). They are fine and designed for this purpose. Thats what makes them acceptable. They are designed and UL approved for this application.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wrong plug? alpercata Electrical 6 12-30-2008 11:40 PM
New plug for toaster oven? mike720 Electrical 3 11-23-2008 08:44 PM
New cooking top on old 200V plug sahucd Electrical 3 08-24-2008 07:35 AM
GFI Plug Troubleshooting bryanchr Electrical 4 08-22-2008 06:28 PM
Is it safe to plug in this flourescent fixture? doofalot Electrical 2 08-16-2008 02:27 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts