Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Do I need uf wire?

I am wiring 2 overhead lights on a covered deck area, they will be under a roof so no rain should touch them. Do I have to use UF romex and waterproof boxes for this?
Also I am assuming I do not need conduit for wiring since it is will be in exposed rafters about 10 ft from the deck, is this right?
thanks

oregondiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Do I need uf wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondiy View Post
I am wiring 2 overhead lights on a covered deck area, they will be under a roof so no rain should touch them. Do I have to use UF romex and waterproof boxes for this?
Also I am assuming I do not need conduit for wiring since it is will be in exposed rafters about 10 ft from the deck, is this right?
thanks

Your supposed to use uf and water proof boxes because it is outside, you don't need conduit unless your city or state requires it.

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Do I need uf wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
Your supposed to use uf and water proof boxes because it is outside, you don't need conduit unless your city or state requires it.
UF would of course be slightly better, but I wouldn't consider a covered porch a wet location. The Code says NM it can be run in a "normally dry location". Seems like the a porch with a roof would normally be dry.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 502
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Do I need uf wire?

I think the porch would fall under the "damp" location and as such I don't think NM would be acceptable. If the porch was fully enclosed then NM would be fine, but it sounds like this is a sorta "open-air" porch. I would search for "damp location" wiring requirements. Personally i'd probably run PVC conduit and PVC boxes for everything that would be exposed.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Do I need uf wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
I think the porch would fall under the "damp" location and as such I don't think NM would be acceptable. If the porch was fully enclosed then NM would be fine, but it sounds like this is a sorta "open-air" porch. I would search for "damp location" wiring requirements. Personally i'd probably run PVC conduit and PVC boxes for everything that would be exposed.
I'm not trying to argue here, because I think UF or conduit would be superior, but I can't find it in the Code where NM type cable would be prohibited from this location. 334.12(B)(4) states that it should not be exposed to excessive moisture or dampness. I guess it falls to the definition of "excessive".
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #6

Do I need uf wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
I'm not trying to argue here, because I think UF or conduit would be superior, but I can't find it in the Code where NM type cable would be prohibited from this location. 334.12(B)(4) states that it should not be exposed to excessive moisture or dampness. I guess it falls to the definition of "excessive".

I guess it really depends on what the op's deck is like then.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Electrician's Helper

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Pudge565

Do I need uf wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
I guess it really depends on what the op's deck is like then.
I respectfully disagree, it really depends on what the OP's AHJ has to say about it.
Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Do I need uf wire?

I'd use conduit as it would give it area a better look. But, that's just me.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do I need uf wire?

I agree with InPhase. The code doesn't prohibit it from being used outside, and if it is generally weather-protected under a roof I'd consider it a normally dry location. If it were mine however, I'd run UF just to be on the safe side for longevity's sake.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 256

Do I need uf wire?

My brother just had an open aired patio built. The electricians did not use uf wire and it just recently passed its final inspection. The outlets, of course, were gfic. My house has regular nm romex running to all of the exterior outlets and lights. The only time I have seen uf cable run is underground.

Last edited by bluefitness; 12-01-2008 at 02:37 PM.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do I need uf wire?

UF isn't just for underground uses, to be clear. If it can get rained on, the best bet is to use UF and not NM.

The best advice is to contact your inspector to see what will be required...Because as you can see, the whole wet versus damp thing gets rather interpretive.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 256

Do I need uf wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
UF isn't just for underground uses, to be clear. If it can get rained on, the best bet is to use UF and not NM.

The best advice is to contact your inspector to see what will be required...Because as you can see, the whole wet versus damp thing gets rather interpretive.
I was just wondering where UF wire is used in damp locations other than underground. Usually, if it is in a damp/wet area where it can be rained on (other than underground), conduit has to be used because it is exposed. The only place I have seen it used in a house is going underground to a detached structure. I was just curious.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #13

Do I need uf wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post

Reminds me of when some ac guys pulled nm trough liquid tight conduit. For an ac at my house. Also left romex exposed at the bottom of the disconnect. Then the ac guys forgot the locknut on the unit...you can see the romex. So messy...
Old 12-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #14

Do I need uf wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
I was just wondering where UF wire is used in damp locations other than underground. Usually, if it is in a damp/wet area where it can be rained on (other than underground), conduit has to be used because it is exposed. The only place I have seen it used in a house is going underground to a detached structure. I was just curious.
I would go for uf, but you can go for romex if there is no way rain water can get to it.

Now if your local AHJ says you need conduit, do as they say.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Do I need uf wire?

thanks to all for the answers.
What is AHJ and OP stand for?

oregondiy is offline   Reply With Quote