DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Do I need uf wire? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/do-i-need-uf-wire-32918/)

oregondiy 12-01-2008 12:29 AM

Do I need uf wire?
 
I am wiring 2 overhead lights on a covered deck area, they will be under a roof so no rain should touch them. Do I have to use UF romex and waterproof boxes for this?
Also I am assuming I do not need conduit for wiring since it is will be in exposed rafters about 10 ft from the deck, is this right?
thanks

rgsgww 12-01-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregondiy (Post 192128)
I am wiring 2 overhead lights on a covered deck area, they will be under a roof so no rain should touch them. Do I have to use UF romex and waterproof boxes for this?
Also I am assuming I do not need conduit for wiring since it is will be in exposed rafters about 10 ft from the deck, is this right?
thanks



Your supposed to use uf and water proof boxes because it is outside, you don't need conduit unless your city or state requires it.

InPhase277 12-01-2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgsgww (Post 192184)
Your supposed to use uf and water proof boxes because it is outside, you don't need conduit unless your city or state requires it.

UF would of course be slightly better, but I wouldn't consider a covered porch a wet location. The Code says NM it can be run in a "normally dry location". Seems like the a porch with a roof would normally be dry.

theatretch85 12-01-2008 08:00 AM

I think the porch would fall under the "damp" location and as such I don't think NM would be acceptable. If the porch was fully enclosed then NM would be fine, but it sounds like this is a sorta "open-air" porch. I would search for "damp location" wiring requirements. Personally i'd probably run PVC conduit and PVC boxes for everything that would be exposed.

InPhase277 12-01-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theatretch85 (Post 192199)
I think the porch would fall under the "damp" location and as such I don't think NM would be acceptable. If the porch was fully enclosed then NM would be fine, but it sounds like this is a sorta "open-air" porch. I would search for "damp location" wiring requirements. Personally i'd probably run PVC conduit and PVC boxes for everything that would be exposed.

I'm not trying to argue here, because I think UF or conduit would be superior, but I can't find it in the Code where NM type cable would be prohibited from this location. 334.12(B)(4) states that it should not be exposed to excessive moisture or dampness. I guess it falls to the definition of "excessive".

rgsgww 12-01-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InPhase277 (Post 192205)
I'm not trying to argue here, because I think UF or conduit would be superior, but I can't find it in the Code where NM type cable would be prohibited from this location. 334.12(B)(4) states that it should not be exposed to excessive moisture or dampness. I guess it falls to the definition of "excessive".


I guess it really depends on what the op's deck is like then.

Pudge565 12-01-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgsgww (Post 192270)
I guess it really depends on what the op's deck is like then.

I respectfully disagree, it really depends on what the OP's AHJ has to say about it.

bradnailer 12-01-2008 01:49 PM

I'd use conduit as it would give it area a better look. But, that's just me.

Termite 12-01-2008 02:30 PM

I agree with InPhase. The code doesn't prohibit it from being used outside, and if it is generally weather-protected under a roof I'd consider it a normally dry location. If it were mine however, I'd run UF just to be on the safe side for longevity's sake.

bluefitness 12-01-2008 02:35 PM

My brother just had an open aired patio built. The electricians did not use uf wire and it just recently passed its final inspection. The outlets, of course, were gfic. My house has regular nm romex running to all of the exterior outlets and lights. The only time I have seen uf cable run is underground.

Termite 12-01-2008 02:45 PM

UF isn't just for underground uses, to be clear. If it can get rained on, the best bet is to use UF and not NM.

The best advice is to contact your inspector to see what will be required...Because as you can see, the whole wet versus damp thing gets rather interpretive.

bluefitness 12-01-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekctermite (Post 192353)
UF isn't just for underground uses, to be clear. If it can get rained on, the best bet is to use UF and not NM.

The best advice is to contact your inspector to see what will be required...Because as you can see, the whole wet versus damp thing gets rather interpretive.

I was just wondering where UF wire is used in damp locations other than underground. Usually, if it is in a damp/wet area where it can be rained on (other than underground), conduit has to be used because it is exposed. The only place I have seen it used in a house is going underground to a detached structure. I was just curious.

rgsgww 12-01-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekctermite (Post 192353)
UF isn't just for underground uses, to be clear. If it can get rained on, the best bet is to use UF and not NM.

The best advice is to contact your inspector to see what will be required...Because as you can see, the whole wet versus damp thing gets rather interpretive.


Reminds me of when some ac guys pulled nm trough liquid tight conduit. For an ac at my house. Also left romex exposed at the bottom of the disconnect. Then the ac guys forgot the locknut on the unit...you can see the romex. So messy...

rgsgww 12-01-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefitness (Post 192359)
I was just wondering where UF wire is used in damp locations other than underground. Usually, if it is in a damp/wet area where it can be rained on (other than underground), conduit has to be used because it is exposed. The only place I have seen it used in a house is going underground to a detached structure. I was just curious.

I would go for uf, but you can go for romex if there is no way rain water can get to it.

Now if your local AHJ says you need conduit, do as they say.

oregondiy 12-01-2008 11:13 PM

thanks to all for the answers.
What is AHJ and OP stand for?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved