DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Do I need a ground rod to replace copper water pipe

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  SubSailor 
#1 ·
2 threads on same issue merged

I am replacing my water main with PEX plastic pipe. My house is plumbed with copper pipes. The old polybutylene pipe I am replacing was connected to about 5 feet of copper that extended under the ground right outside of the foundation. This was one source of a leak that prompted this water pipe replacement. I am assuming this copper pipe is part of the grounding system for the house as the electric panel box on the other side of the house is connected to the cold water pipe with copper wire and a clamp. There is also one ground rod outside of the panel box on that other side of the house. I want to run the PEX straight from the water main and through the foundation and eliminate that underground water connection.

My question is: should I put a ground rod where the water main comes through the foundation and connect it with copper wire to the copper pipes in the crawspace to replace the loss of the copper tubing that was under the ground?

Thanks for your input.

Mike

#4 ·
Right, and there is already one on the outside of the house connected to the panel box.

Should I put a second grounding rod where the water main comes throught the foundation since thats where the copper water pipe originally came through? The water main and electric panel are on opposite sides of the house.

Someone told me not to, but rather I should put a 2nd ground rod 6 feet from the first one and connect the two and not put one where the water main comes in. I just don't know which is correct.

Thank you.
Mike

#6 ·
If you leave the pipe in the ground, solder a cap on the end inside.

OT: If a fuel oil tank is decommissioned, the filler pipes need to be removed, or if that is not possible, capped at both ends.

This is to prevent accidental re-use.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the reply's. I will put a 2nd ground rod in 8 feet from the first one. That's easy enough.

I'd already cut out the copper water pipe that went through the foundation in order to put a temporary water main in using the PEX while I'm doing my trenching. At this point it would be more trouble to reconnect the copper, cap it and leave it buried.

The more I read and hear about grounds, the more confused I get. For example, I don't understand why 2 rods are needed and why they need to be connected together but spaced apart. Also why would I not just put a ground rod on the other side of the house where the original water main came, run the wire throught the foundation, and connect to the copper plumbing there? It seems like that would be the equivalent of what I originally had.

Mike

#11 ·
You only need one ground rod if you can verify that its resistance is 25 ohms or less, if you install 2 rods the nec basically says you tried hard enough. also they must be spaced 6 feet apart not 8. 8 feet of rod needs to be below ground level so if your using an 8' rod, the entire piece must be below the soil.

also the 2 rods ARE to be connected together, and then tied into the nuetral bus bar.

#10 ·
Not true. A second rod is a supplemental rod and is NOT required to be run form the panel. All that is needed is a jumper from one to the other.
Also, it is six feet apart minimum, not 8'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.