Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Do I Need to Call in a Electrician to Check This Work?

IS THIS INSPECTION GOOD ENOUGH? I DO NOT KNOW?

DO I NEED TO HIRE MY OWN LICENSED ELECTRICIAN TO CHECK THIS OUT?

WHAT NEEDS TO BE CHECKED OUT?
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW.
IS IT TO COLD SI NY TO SEPERATE VINYL SIDING TO SEE BELOW IT NOW?
DOES THIS NEED TO BE DONE?

I have a Licensed General Contractor to do Electrical work-Lower conduit, add hose spigit and shut off, Windows, vinyl Siding, brick work and driveway/FLAGS, also above and below 2 bow windows. AND BATHROOM/2 VENTS WITH DEDICATED LINE.

HE WAS SUPPOSED TO HIRE LICENSED ELECTRICIAN/PLUMBER, PERMITS, LICENSES. I HAVE ADDED ADDENMENT TO CONTRACT AND HE SIGNED IT.

PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE ANSWERING TO UNDERSTAND ALL DONE FOR ELECTRIC.

Contractor called in a non licensed electrician to lower conduit for outside lighting and install a new exterior light also. He told me this is fine that licensed electricians don;t do the work and this electrician works for a licensed electrician. needed to lower conduit for changing bulbs.

Siding guys came and talked to contractor and then i noticed conduit removed and they added a yellow wire and cut spaces in the insulation to have this romex simpull sit in there and then put vinyl siding over it. This electricial was now done by the SIDING GUYS - NOT A ELECTRICIAN.

I took a piece of this and did 60 hours of investergation regarding coding.confussing then called the NYC code dept. after i couldn't figure it out. and called the SI, NYC, QUEENS, Bronx, Brooklyn inspectors and they all said not within code directly under vinyl siding in a 2 family house in NYC.

Talked to my contractor and he said they all lied to me. Said it is within code. Contacted DIY and was told it is not within code.
Disputted this with my contractor about 2 months and after threatening him he finally was willing to call the code dept and found out not within code

Now I requested a licensed electrician and he- contractor said NO. Said he doesn't have to hire one.
Contractor told me he was getting the electrician back which already told me he talked to someone higher than i could have gotten to and it is within code.
I told my contractor I didn't want him back due to him not knowing It is not within code. He said he is coming. I said I want to know when he is here.
I was not informed and he did whatever and then I spotted him and opened the door and he jumped at me and said the romex simpull is really ok and that SI and Long island is funny this way and it is within code, and it doesn't need to be changed. I know this is not true. I am a woman and this is also not right at all he is getting paid for this job and he shouldn;t jump at me after the contractor hired him to do this. He is not licensed (case closed - doesn't know all he needs to know)

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT WAS DONE OR WAS NOT DONE. DO NOT KNOW IF ROMEX IS STILL OUTSIDE ATTACHED TO THIS OTHER WIRE?

The contractor did agree to have a licensed electrician check out the job and tell me it is within code and I said no I want his name and co name and license no and letterhead and signed by him. Contractor said he won;t do it and I said if you are paying him to do this then you are entitled to a receipt as to what he did do. and i want a copy of it. CONTRACTOR SAID NOT WITH HIS LICENSE NO. i DID GET HIS LICENSE NO.

The licensed electrician came and just walked around. did not OPEN any siding or look under it to see what the electrician did. He if it is him is licensed I checked on this and found his license no. Remember the siding guys did electrician before the electrician also. Is there still romex attached to the other wires outrside I do not know?

i do see boxes that are without covers that are completely taped don't know about this and license electrician didn';t look at that also.

Did this electrician get paid off to give the contractor a letter I do not know?

I DO NOT SEE ROMEX COMING FROM THE AREA THAT THE LIGHTS WILL BE COMING FROM.
I DO SEE BOXES THAT ARE TAPED AND DO NOW KNOW WHAT IS IN THERE AND THE LICENSED ELECTRICIAN DIDN'T LOOK AT THOSE BOXES ALSO.

AFTER RECEIVING A LETTER FROM THE CONTRACTORS LICENSE ELECTRICIAN. THE ELECTRICIAN THAT IS NOT LICENSED WILL BE COMING BACK TO INSTALL LIGHTS

THIS IS GOING ON FOR 4 MONTHS NOW NEED LIGHTS. JUST GOT GUTTERS AND LEADERS BECAUSE THE CONTRACTOR WANTS TO GET PAID AND I SAID NO NOT TILL WORK IS DONE.

NOT SURE IF IT IS TO COLD IN NY TO OPEN SIDING TO SEE BELOW IT.
PLEASE ADVISE WHAT TO DO. THANKS

I HAD TO CALL IN MY PLUMBER FOR HIM TO FIX PLUMBING ALSO LEFT WITH METHANE GAS GOING INTO BASEMENT AND CONTRACTORS PLUMBER DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO PUT SHUT OFF FOR HOSE SPIGIT INSTEAD HE PUT IT FOR THE WASHING MACHINE. FOUND OUT HE REALLY IS NOT A PLUMBER LIKE CONTRACTOR SAID HE IS A TAPING GUY.

I HAD TO CORRECT THE WINDOW SIZE THAT THE CONTRACTOR WAS ORDERING ALSO. ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURER WHEN I GAVE THEM ALL THE INFO THE CONTRACTOR WAS ORDERING A WINDOW 4 INCHES SHORTER THAN WHAT I NEEDED AND WAS AVAILABLE. I HAD HIM STRAIGHTEN THIS OUT BECAUSE HE CALLED ME WHILE ORDERING THE WINDOWS.

TO LATE FOR DRIVEWAY AND STREET FLAGS NOW ALSO.
SIDING GUY WANTED TO PAINT RAILINGS AND CONDUIT WHEN IT IS 27 DEGREES OUTSIDE HE WAITED TO LONG. SAID ITS OK TO PAINT. I CALLED PAINT STORE TOLD MIN. 5 HOURS 55 DEGREES OR IT WILL CRACK.

DO I WORK FOR THEM. I DO NOT. FEEL LIKE I DO.
ANYWAY CAN'T WAIT TO END THIS WITH THEM.
I TOOK THE BATHROOM OFF THE TABLE DUE TO WHAT YOU SEE HERE.

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH THIS CONTRACTOR? AT THIS POINT. HE SHOULD OF BEEN FIRED AND I TOLD HIM THIS.

HE HAD THE NERVE TO SAY TO ME TO RECOMMEND HIM AFTER WHAT HAS HAPPENED.
HE TOLD ME THEY GET IN FAST AND FINISH FAST. 4 MONTHS WITHOUT LIGHTS GUTTERS LEADERS AND IT COULD SNOW AND FREEZE AND HE WANTS ME TO BE LEINENT AND PAY HIM BEFORE HE FINISHES SO HE CAN PAY THE SUBCONTRACTORS. HE IS NOW TRYING TO FINISH FAST.

PLEASE HELP AND LET ME KNOW IF YOUR SKILL LEVEL
THANKS FOR YOUR FAST REPLY

Last edited by taras1; 12-13-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: ADDING TO THIS
taras1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Call your local better business bureau or the prosecutor's office. There is no way anyone can help you from this chat room.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #3

Post in that many CAPS is not needed
Contact your local building Dept & have an Inspector come out & check the work
Ask them if a licensed electrician is required
Did he pull a permit for this work ?

Having this guy bring in another person he knows to OK the work is not OK in my book
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Too long. Simple answer is, Did he pull an electrical permit? Was it inspected? If not then file a complaint with the inspectors office about unlicenced work being performed.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Similar answers have also been given on another site. Please call your local electrical board or inspection agency.

In many areas you need to be licensed to perform electrical work. A licensed electrical contractor can have unlicensed employees work under their license. This does not make it OK for the siding guys to do the wiring.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #6

If you have any doubts,
And you clearly do,
Call a reputable electrical company,
And let them check it all out.
Be prepared to pay a good fee for there service,
Then get a report,
And if needed you can take it further,
Or just get them to fix it all up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taras1 View Post

IS IT TO COLD SI NY TO SEPERATE VINYL SIDING TO SEE BELOW IT NOW?
DOES THIS NEED TO BE DONE?

I have a Licensed General Contractor to do Electrical work-Lower conduit, add hose spigit and shut off, Windows, vinyl Siding, brick work and driveway/FLAGS, also above and below 2 bow windows. AND BATHROOM/2 VENTS WITH DEDICATED LINE.

HE WAS SUPPOSED TO HIRE LICENSED ELECTRICIAN/PLUMBER, PERMITS, LICENSES. I HAVE ADDED ADDENMENT TO CONTRACT AND HE SIGNED IT.

PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE ANSWERING TO UNDERSTAND ALL DONE FOR ELECTRIC.

Contractor called in a non licensed electrician to lower conduit for outside lighting and install a new exterior light also. He told me this is fine that licensed electricians don;t do the work and this electrician works for a licensed electrician. needed to lower conduit for changing bulbs.

Siding guys came and talked to contractor and then i noticed conduit removed and they added a yellow wire and cut spaces in the insulation to have this romex simpull sit in there and then put vinyl siding over it. This electricial was now done by the SIDING GUYS - NOT A ELECTRICIAN.

I took a piece of this and did 60 hours of investergation regarding coding.confussing then called the NYC code dept. after i couldn't figure it out. and called the SI, NYC, QUEENS, Bronx, Brooklyn inspectors and they all said not within code directly under vinyl siding in a 2 family house in NYC.

Talked to my contractor and he said they all lied to me. Said it is within code. Contacted DIY and was told it is not within code.
Disputted this with my contractor about 2 months and after threatening him he finally was willing to call the code dept and found out not within code

Now I requested a licensed electrician and he- contractor said NO. Said he doesn't have to hire one.
Contractor told me he was getting the electrician back which already told me he talked to someone higher than i could have gotten to and it is within code.
I told my contractor I didn't want him back due to him not knowing It is not within code. He said he is coming. I said I want to know when he is here.
I was not informed and he did whatever and then I spotted him and opened the door and he jumped at me and said the romex simpull is really ok and that SI and Long island is funny this way and it is within code, and it doesn't need to be changed. I know this is not true. I am a woman and this is also not right at all he is getting paid for this job and he shouldn;t jump at me after the contractor hired him to do this. He is not licensed (case closed - doesn't know all he needs to know)

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT WAS DONE OR WAS NOT DONE. DO NOT KNOW IF ROMEX IS STILL OUTSIDE ATTACHED TO THIS OTHER WIRE?

The contractor did agree to have a licensed electrician check out the job and tell me it is within code and I said no I want his name and co name and license no and letterhead and signed by him. Contractor said he won;t do it and I said if you are paying him to do this then you are entitled to a receipt as to what he did do. and i want a copy of it. CONTRACTOR SAID NOT WITH HIS LICENSE NO. i DID GET HIS LICENSE NO.

The licensed electrician came and just walked around. did not OPEN any siding or look under it to see what the electrician did. He if it is him is licensed I checked on this and found his license no. Remember the siding guys did electrician before the electrician also. Is there still romex attached to the other wires outrside I do not know?

i do see boxes that are without covers that are completely taped don't know about this and license electrician didn';t look at that also.

Did this electrician get paid off to give the contractor a letter I do not know?

I DO NOT SEE ROMEX COMING FROM THE AREA THAT THE LIGHTS WILL BE COMING FROM.
I DO SEE BOXES THAT ARE TAPED AND DO NOW KNOW WHAT IS IN THERE AND THE LICENSED ELECTRICIAN DIDN'T LOOK AT THOSE BOXES ALSO.

AFTER RECEIVING A LETTER FROM THE CONTRACTORS LICENSE ELECTRICIAN. THE ELECTRICIAN THAT IS NOT LICENSED WILL BE COMING BACK TO INSTALL LIGHTS

THIS IS GOING ON FOR 4 MONTHS NOW NEED LIGHTS. JUST GOT GUTTERS AND LEADERS BECAUSE THE CONTRACTOR WANTS TO GET PAID AND I SAID NO NOT TILL WORK IS DONE.

NOT SURE IF IT IS TO COLD IN NY TO OPEN SIDING TO SEE BELOW IT.
PLEASE ADVISE WHAT TO DO. THANKS

I HAD TO CALL IN MY PLUMBER FOR HIM TO FIX PLUMBING ALSO LEFT WITH METHANE GAS GOING INTO BASEMENT AND CONTRACTORS PLUMBER DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO PUT SHUT OFF FOR HOSE SPIGIT INSTEAD HE PUT IT FOR THE WASHING MACHINE. FOUND OUT HE REALLY IS NOT A PLUMBER LIKE CONTRACTOR SAID HE IS A TAPING GUY.

I HAD TO CORRECT THE WINDOW SIZE THAT THE CONTRACTOR WAS ORDERING ALSO. ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURER WHEN I GAVE THEM ALL THE INFO THE CONTRACTOR WAS ORDERING A WINDOW 4 INCHES SHORTER THAN WHAT I NEEDED AND WAS AVAILABLE. I HAD HIM STRAIGHTEN THIS OUT BECAUSE HE CALLED ME WHILE ORDERING THE WINDOWS.

TO LATE FOR DRIVEWAY AND STREET FLAGS NOW ALSO.
SIDING GUY WANTED TO PAINT RAILINGS AND CONDUIT WHEN IT IS 27 DEGREES OUTSIDE HE WAITED TO LONG. SAID ITS OK TO PAINT. I CALLED PAINT STORE TOLD MIN. 5 HOURS 55 DEGREES OR IT WILL CRACK.

DO I WORK FOR THEM. I DO NOT. FEEL LIKE I DO.
ANYWAY CAN'T WAIT TO END THIS WITH THEM.
I TOOK THE BATHROOM OFF THE TABLE DUE TO WHAT YOU SEE HERE.

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH THIS CONTRACTOR? AT THIS POINT. HE SHOULD OF BEEN FIRED AND I TOLD HIM THIS.

HE HAD THE NERVE TO SAY TO ME TO RECOMMEND HIM AFTER WHAT HAS HAPPENED.
HE TOLD ME THEY GET IN FAST AND FINISH FAST. 4 MONTHS WITHOUT LIGHTS GUTTERS LEADERS AND IT COULD SNOW AND FREEZE AND HE WANTS ME TO BE LEINENT AND PAY HIM BEFORE HE FINISHES SO HE CAN PAY THE SUBCONTRACTORS. HE IS NOW TRYING TO FINISH FAST.

PLEASE HELP AND LET ME KNOW IF YOUR SKILL LEVEL
THANKS FOR YOUR FAST REPLY
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #7

NO, I will not read it all, whether you say 'please' or not - especially if you don't find your capslock key and turn it OFF.

That said, what I get from this is:

non-licensed electrician who works for licensed electrician (that happens here fairly often, legal or not) installed it properly. seperate contractor - siding guy - doesn't like conduit in his way, removes it, replaces with romex. You start arguing with your contractor over who's going to do what.

Personal answer: I don't care who does the work, if it's done correctly. It sounds like the original "helper" electrician did this. If the contractor wants to bring that same guy back to re-do it, still correctly, I personally wouldn't have a problem with that.

If you're in doubt as to whether the current arrangement is "correct", that's when you need to call someone to look it over, and I'd suggest code enforcement.

I do not believe they make "simpull" cable in anything other than NM-B, which I'm quite sure cannot be used outdoors, even behind vinyl siding. I'm not 100% sure the conduit is the best solution, but having romex snaking around out there is almost definitely NOT "to code".

emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contractor issues, contractor work, electical wiring, electric code, fire hazard