Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Jessica G.

Send a message via AIM to jmbaker8001
Share |

Do I have equipotential Bonding?

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if there is equipotential bonding on an inground pool? I am trying to buy a home with an open permit regarding this and I dont know if there is any bonding at all, how do i know if there is??

Thanks
Jessica

jmbaker8001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbaker8001 View Post
Can anyone tell me how I can tell if there is equipotential bonding on an inground pool? I am trying to buy a home with an open permit regarding this and I dont know if there is any bonding at all, how do i know if there is??

Thanks
Jessica
Personally, I would hire someone qualified in checking this out, and verify that it does exist.

How far along is the pool? You could check inspection tickets if any are existing.

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Jessica G.

I am trying to buy a house that has an open permit and the permit devision says that it needs to be installed but i can't imagine that a pool was installed without this. So I am wondering if it needs to be fixed, and was wondering if there is a way that I can tell if this is installed.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Jessica G.

Last edited by jmbaker8001; 06-11-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Quote:
I am trying to buy a house that has an open permit and the permit devision says that it needs to be installed but i can't imagine that a pool was installed without this. So I am wondering if it needs to be fixed, and was wondering if there is a way that I can tell if this is installed.
Why don't you make this the sellers problem?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Electrician

Much of the bonding grid is under concrete. This was supposed to be inspected before the concrete was poured. And like Stickboy said there are records for those inspections. However wires from the grid will stick up in certain places and be attached to lugs on the outside of anything metal. Look for a #8 solid copper wire either bare, or covered in green plastic, attached to a lug with a screw. It will be on the outside of most pumps, on the screen enclosure and attached to any heater. It is often attached outside the box of a salt water generator. It is attached inside the light junction box. The lug on the outside of the light junction box can be empty or wired.
Glennsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glennsparky For This Useful Post:
jmbaker8001 (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Jessica G.

There is no screen enclosure or even a metal handrale that goes into the pool. I will try and look for the wires. Does anyone know when equipotential bonding came into effect? The pool was built in 1996, and if there is an open permit on the electrical I would have to assume that the bonding is there correct? I am going to try and attach a picture of the pool. Hopefully it works. Any and all information is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks to all!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Jessica G.

Its bank owned and the banks refuses to do any work on the house or make any repairs
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Does anyone know when equipotential bonding came into effect? The pool was built in 1996, and if there is an open permit on the electrical I would have to assume that the bonding is there correct? I am going to try and attach a picture of the pool. Hopefully it works. Any and all information is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks to all!!!

I think its odd that the final inspection was never completed... but anyway, in 1996, bonding was required, the best thing to check it the pool pump and see if you see a wire attached to the motor housing... a good indication the pool is bonded.
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
jmbaker8001 (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
Jessica G.

Sparky, I see that you are by Oviedo, FL. I am in Longwood Florida, Would it be possible for you to contact me directly?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Licensed Electrician

When was the permit pulled? If it was pulled after 1996 there is a good chance this pool was never inspected. If the permit was pulled after the pool was completed and was never inspected, you would need to conform to today's code.

I would run away from this headache unless you are willing to abandon the pool, or be prepared to dig it up.

The best suggestion made has been to spend a little money and get a licensed ELECTRICIAN to look over the pool.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post

I would run away from this headache unless you are willing to abandon the pool, or be prepared to dig it up.
I wouldn't think it would be terribly bad to bond the pool now if no bonding existed, expensive yes, but not totally out of the question.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Jessica G.

Permits were pulled in 1996. The pool itself passed inspection, it was the electrical part that did not pass. Which leads me to believe that the bonding is there just maybe not hooked up correctly. That is why I asked when this whole bonding thing went into effect, if it was prior to '96.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Licensed Electrician

It wouldn't matter when bonding of the pool was effective as you are now going to be required to bring the pool electrical up to today's standards.

I haven't done one single pool in my 14 year career so I only know what I know from the NEC. I could easily see you having to prove ALL bonding including the pool shell.

I am confused how the pool passed inspection if the electrical didn't. That's like issuing an occupancy permit without passing the electrical inspection.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Jessica G.

Sparky, I see you are a master electrician. If you could contact me that would be great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsparky View Post
Much of the bonding grid is under concrete. This was supposed to be inspected before the concrete was poured. And like Stickboy said there are records for those inspections. However wires from the grid will stick up in certain places and be attached to lugs on the outside of anything metal. Look for a #8 solid copper wire either bare, or covered in green plastic, attached to a lug with a screw. It will be on the outside of most pumps, on the screen enclosure and attached to any heater. It is often attached outside the box of a salt water generator. It is attached inside the light junction box. The lug on the outside of the light junction box can be empty or wired.

Tags
equipotenial bonding, inground pool