Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

DIY and meter related work

I am going to replace my meter combo panel and I noticed two things. The glass cover is chipped near the ring, enough to make it not completely weatherproof, and the tag/lock wire is snipped. I assume this happened when the original panel was replaced a few years ago by a contractor, or maybe even before that.

How do the city inspectors treat this kind of thing? Or is it a poco issue? Is it common? I am concerned it may be looked upon as tampering and there may be a fine. When I put in my new panel I'd like a new glass cover for the meter.

tns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #2

The meter belongs to the power company.

Call it to their attention and they will replace it.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tns1 View Post
I am going to replace my meter combo panel and I noticed two things. The glass cover is chipped near the ring, enough to make it not completely weatherproof, and the tag/lock wire is snipped. I assume this happened when the original panel was replaced a few years ago by a contractor, or maybe even before that.

How do the city inspectors treat this kind of thing? Or is it a poco issue? Is it common? I am concerned it may be looked upon as tampering and there may be a fine. When I put in my new panel I'd like a new glass cover for the meter.
Your best course of action is --as other posters on this forum have suggested-- to contact the Power Company! They will not accuse you of having broken the seal. If someone tampers with the electric meter, they're aware of it from other sources. They have a pattern of usage for each customer, and if that varies by a significant amount either way, (more or less usage) they will be aware of it. I'm speaking of personal experience. One month my Electric bill was higher by more than $100. When I called the Power Company, before I had a chance to tell them about the problem, the person answering the phone told me that they're aware of the excessive amount and they're cancelling the bill and sending another (corrected) one instead.Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

I say call the POCO. If they accuse you of tampering, tell them to prove it with something more than just a broken seal.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #5

I talked to them. They say its no big deal and I will probably get a new meter.
tns1 is offline   Reply With Quote