Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

DIY 12v power supply for John boat sump

I have a 360 gph bilge pump for my johnboat.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Bilge...iw=320&bih=415

Run on 12v DC. I used to hook it up to my 27DC180 deep cycle battery when I needed it to run, but I've traded the battery and motor for an outboard. So I need to make a power supply for the bilge.

What is the best way to do this? Should I go with a 10 slot AA supply or hook 2 big 6v batteries to it? Can I go with a double 9v set up or would this be too much?

I'm going to put a switch in the wire, possibly jb weld a float switch in the corner of the stern.

I will put the battery supply in a waterproof box and secure to the boat as well. I'm just trying to find the best (most efficient) way to get juice to the bilge when needed.

Last edited by Dale Gribble; 06-21-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Dale Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Any information on the pump itself, Dale? I look at your link and it doesnt say any power requirements. What you use to run it will depend on it's amperage draw.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

Based on the specification from the manufacturer here

http://www.rulepumpsupply.com/Bilge_Pumps.html

my pump draws 2.1 amps @ 12v and 2.5 amps @ 13.6v.

I should have linked to that page first.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 618

I think you're going to find this pump draws a lot of current. Are you happy changing batteries every 20minutes or so?

AA alkaline batteries are about 2000mAh of capacity. So 8 of them in series would power the pump for less than 1 hour.

Does your outboard have electric start and an alternator? That would be best.

Last edited by curiousB; 06-21-2012 at 02:44 PM.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousB View Post
I think you're going to find this pump draws a lot of current. Are you happy changing batteries every 20minutes or so?

AA alkaline batteries are about 2000mAh of capacity. So 8 of them in series would power the pump for less than 1 hour.

Does your outboard have electric start and an alternator? That would be best.
I concure.

Your outboard should have an eletric start option. At a min, you need 12 in the boat for running lights.

If you do need to add a battery, I would at least use a M/C battery. Small and easy to charge.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #6

No electric start, just a little 7.5 hp, 2-cycle, air cooled motor. And a 12 ft aluminum (riveted) boat. I usually take it out on local lakes/rivers, but now that I have the engine I'd like to take it to the coast on calm (very calm) days and fish some bays, protected waters, and such.

I've had to use the bilge before, once in a semi-emergency situation. I was on a small river and had gone over a submerged tree. A branch of the tree was right under the waterline and I will didn't see it. The boat got stuck pivoting on the end of this branch contacting the hull right in the dead middle center. I think couldn't get off it with my little trolling motor I had so I had to really lean to one side and rock the boat off the branch resulting in a very large amount of water spilling in. The pump cleared the water out in a minute or two.

I generally use the bilge once per trip, but just to clear the water that seeps in through the rivets and it only takes a few seconds. @ 6 gallons /min it can move water in that small boat quickly. 6 gallons of water in the boat will pool in the stern since that's the lowest point and will be about 4 inches deep.

What I'm trying to get at is that the pump will only have to run for a minute or less and only once or twice on a typical trip. In an emergency situation if I can get an hour of action I would suspect that would be enough as I would always be never more than a few minutes @ WOT from the nearest shore point, or a half an hour or so row if the engine died.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #7

Don't need running lights. If I'm out at night I just need a battery powered led bow light and a led stern light. Don't need a 12v for that, especially since it would be for a few minutes while the sun comes up or only a short time after dusk.

I'm really trying to keep the weight down and I was able to go from a 70lb battery + 22lb trolling motor to a 38lb outboard and 16lbs of fuel. I'd hate to add a 40lb battery for lights and a bilge that can all run on alkaline batteries and together weigh less than 10lbs.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16
If you do need to add a battery, I would at least use a M/C battery. Small and easy to charge.
By M/C do you mean motorcycle battery? That sounds like it might be a possibility since they only weigh about 10 lbs. How do they differ from automotive or lawnmower batteries? I know deep cell batteries are made to continuously discharge amps, but how does a motorcycle battery work? Would I need a 3-stage charger/maintainer like deep cell need or will the $5 charger/maintainer @ Harbor Freight (Northern Tool) keep it alive?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 532

If you do use a motorcycle battery make sure you can keep it dry. If you are planning on taking this in salt water you may find that battery acid and salt water create chlorine gas. Not something to mess with.

How about a AGM or SLA type battery. Like what you can find in a UPS (battery backup). They come in all sizes and shapes.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #10

I like the AGM idea. 12v 8a battery for pretty cheap. https://m.northerntool.com/northernt...ductName=false

I'm guessing the 8amps mean a capacity of 8amp-hours? So, the bilge on a full battery would theoretically have 3 hours of pump time?

I gather, since the bilge would only would run for a min or 2 I could have some led nav lights and a horn hooked up to it and never draw lower than 60% capacity.

Paired with this charger: https://m.northerntool.com/northernt...ductName=false

I think this is what I'm looking for. Lightweight, low-cost, easy to maintain.