Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #1

Share |

Distance from meter

Could anyone tell me how far from a meter a panel can be.i have about a 12 foot outside run to a new panel in my addition is there any problem with that?

BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

Distance from meter

The rule around here is "as close as practical". In practice that means "on the interior wall directly opposite the meter" - the AHJs don't like more than an extra foot or two, if that.

If you can't get that close, they want to see a service disconnect at the exterior and feeders to a load-side distributions panel. If you are installed the latter it can be as far from the SD as is allowed by the feeder size.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Distance from meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Could anyone tell me how far from a meter a panel can be.i have about a 12 foot outside run to a new panel in my addition is there any problem with that?
Michael did hit the nail on this one and majorty of the area will say short as possible which it mean it depending on which state / local code requirement will varies.

I know in State of Wisconsin anything under 2 meter { Apx 6 foot } do not need exteral main disconnect switch { breaker or fuse } but once you get over that distance two thing will change one is you can not use standard 3 conductor SE cable or 3 conductor cable it have to be 4 Conductor cable or in the conduit. { the netural and ground will be seperarted after the first main disconnect switch.

Check with your local officals for latest info plus POCO requirement if they want to change location { few case they will ask ya during expanding or major remodeling }

As far for outdoor there is no limit anyway.{ the inspectors will count inside portion not outside unless something get their attetion. }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Master Electrician

Distance from meter

If I understand your question correctly, most jurisdictions allow unlimited runs OUTSIDE the premises.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Distance from meter

Michael did get it right, sort of. Brric and Marc got it more right...er.

Inside is limited to local codes and requirements. This is sometimes governed by the AHJ himself. Usually this is around 5-6 feet. I have had guys let me go 10' in special cases.
Outside is typically unlimited.
Some placed require a disconnect AT the meter.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (11-26-2010)