DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Disposal outlet

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  MisterZ 
#1 ·
Last week my disposal stopped working, I have swapped out the outlet and the switch,it appears this was an after thought since I found a junction box in the cupboard next to it.I have cut back and stripped wiring at both locations,checked my circuit and verified it's not the disposal.Any ideas?

#2 ·
So you are saying that there is no power at the receptacle for the disposal. First thing I would do is turn the breaker for the disposal to the off position then back on and check for voltage at the receptacle.

If still nothing, then I would verify there is power leaving the breaker.

If yes, you have a loose connection somewhere between the panel and the receptacle. If no, replace the breaker.

#3 ·
Better explanation please.
Does the disposal outlet have power?
How do you know the disposal is ok?

If the switch and outlet work, the disposal is bad.
If the disposal works, but the outlet/switch dont, then either one or both are bad.
Where is the problem?

#5 ·
Last week my disposal stopped working, I have swapped out the outlet and the switch,it appears this was an after thought since I found a junction box in the cupboard next to it.I have cut back and stripped wiring at both locations,checked my circuit and verified it's not the disposal.Any ideas?
I'm not sure I am convinced of this, and I have a feeling we will never know the whole story.

#6 ·
First I appreciate the feedback, but yes I have tried the reset button the disposal, I verified the disposal works by plugging it in at a different outlet. The breaker has power,the fridge and the disposal are on the same circuit to my knowledge those are the only 2 on that circuit and has been since purchasing the home.At this point I'm thinking maybe another connection somewhere that I'm not aware of.

#7 ·
Did you check for voltage at the junction box you remade the splices in?

Did you check for voltage at the switch?

If you know the fridge is on that circuit, did you pull the fridge receptacle out and check for connections in there? A backstabbed receptacle could be the culprit.

#9 ·
Well I've checked the fridge outlet,it stands alone so the disposal is on another circuit.It's possible its on the kitchen circuit but have no way of telling with out hte outlet getting power, the rest of the kitchen is fine.Any ideas of a next step or just call an electrician?

#10 ·
Do your best to trace the circuit either to or from the panel.
If you know which breaker controls the disposal outlet, turn it off and check which devices go off with it.
Once you determine which devices are on this circuit, you may be able to track down where the problem lies.

A bit of investigation can go a long way, or calling in a professional is a good idea too:)

#11 ·
Disposal may be on its own breaker. I know its tedious but it may be worth the ten minutes to check each breaker in your panel for voltage.

#13 · (Edited)
Like i said, turn off breaker, check to see if any outlets or lights stop working.
This way youll know if anything else is on the circuit. You can buy a tool called "circuit detective" which helps locate what devices are on which breakers. Very helpful if you have a mismarked panel.

Voltage at the breaker will read around 120v. It is li,ely the disposal is on its own circuit tho.
If you are going to check voltage at panel, please be cautious. Black probe on ground bus bar, red probe on brass breaker nut. Set meter to correct voltage

#15 ·
Agreed and can't stress enough to make sure you have the right setting. A meter set to ohms on a live source has the potential to go off like a grenade.

#16 ·
disposal outlet

Well I've checked the circuits at the panel,all read 119-120,Dbl's at 248. Also went through the breakers room by room again(re-labeled when I moved in) everything matches,but I do have 1-240 and and 1-120 that I couldn't find what they go too. I have the old labeling and it stats the disposal is on 5 but that is not correct.
Could there be a grounding issue? never heard of that causing an outlet not to work but I don't know?

#18 ·
Have you checked to see if its the receptacle that's bad?

#20 ·
next step is to check the line for a short somewhere, disconnect the power and start testing for an open wire somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.