DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Dishwasher Wiring

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jrclen 
#1 ·
While removing our dishwasher to repair it, I noticed that the dishwasher was hardwired with a piece of romex coming from a junction box with a cover that couldn't be put on due to old damage. I've replaced the box, and want to know if I'm allowed to put a recepticle on the box and run an appliance pigtail to the dishwasher.

The outlet would be directly behind the dishwasher in the same cabinet space, and I'm not sure whether this is allowed - everything I've found online talks about a dishwasher receptacle under the sink, not in the same cabinet.

#2 ·
Actually the receptacle outlet is supposed to be in the same cabinet as the dishwasher. But we do put them under the sink. If there is room for the plug and receptacle, you will be just fine where it is. If you have the manual for the dish washer you might want to look and see if it is approved for cord and plug connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.