Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

Share |

dishwasher wiring

I am istalling a dishwasher and I have a blue wire and a white wire coming from the wall. the dishwasher has a black wire a white wire and a green wire. do i hook the white to white and the black to the blue and the green is the ground????

dishwasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

dishwasher wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishwasher View Post
I am istalling a dishwasher and I have a blue wire and a white wire coming from the wall. the dishwasher has a black wire a white wire and a green wire. do i hook the white to white and the black to the blue and the green is the ground????
That is correct.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
dishwasher (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #3

dishwasher wiring

How old is this house? The reason I'm asking is your telling us there is no ground run back to the panel. Not a good thing.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #4

dishwasher wiring

Are you talking about the wires that are coming out of the wall???
Old 12-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #5

dishwasher wiring

The green wire on the dishwasher that I pulled out wasnt hooked to anything. It was just hanging there
Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

dishwasher wiring

You stated that you "have a blue wire and a white wire coming from the wall". First off, if you are going to hard wire the dishwasher, all wires need to be in an approved box. Second, blue is an unusual color for a hot wire, most of the time they are black, so you need to start by determining if the blue wire is hot. You do this with a multimeter, check the voltage from the blue to the neutral (presumably the white wire) and to ground.

You did not say whether you have a ground wire coming from the wall. This could mean that you don't have one, in which case you have a noncompliant circuit, or you do have one, but you neglected to mention it. The ground wire from the wall is normally bare copper or green. In some cases, especially in older houses, the ground wire may be wrapped around a screw on the outside of the box (if the box is metal), Most of my grounds were done this way in my house. So far as I know, this technique is no longer code compliant, you need a positive ground to a grounding screw in the box (if the box is metal). I do not believe plastic boxes require a ground.

Finally, if you are hard wiring the dishwasher, you need to determine if you need to install a switch. In my jurisdiction, dishwasher hard wire connections require a switch which is visible from the dishwasher. I am told this is to protect service personnel who need a visible disconnect. I always thought the breaker in the basement was adequate, but not in my jurisdiction, you need the switch plus the breaker.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote