Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dishwasher wiring

I want to install a dishwasher in an older kitchen that has never had one. Currently I have a direct wired disposal under the sink that I was going use the power from to run to the dishwasher. There's just a black cable coming out of the wall, It is running from a switch above the counter top on the wall behind the sink. How do I wire this so that I can install a new outlet for the dishwasher and the switch will kill the disposal but not the dishwasher? Am I just better off leaving the disposal alone and run a new cable for the dishwasher up from a different power source? I know The Dishwasher is SUPPOSED to be on it's own circuit but I may not be able to do that.

tcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #2

Dishwasher wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarter View Post
I want to install a dishwasher in an older kitchen that has never had one. Currently I have a direct wired disposal under the sink that I was going use the power from to run to the dishwasher. There's just a black cable coming out of the wall, It is running from a switch above the counter top on the wall behind the sink. How do I wire this so that I can install a new outlet for the dishwasher and the switch will kill the disposal but not the dishwasher? Am I just better off leaving the disposal alone and run a new cable for the dishwasher up from a different power source? I know The Dishwasher is SUPPOSED to be on it's own circuit but I may not be able to do that.
Wire it correctly or don't put in the dishwasher.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Electrician

Dishwasher wiring

There’s always a way to get something done. If the cable going to the disposal only has black, white, ground, you won’t be able to use that cable as is anyways. You’ll have to pull a new cable. Might as well consider taking a new cable right to the breaker panel.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Dishwasher wiring

Has "new cable" written all over it.

It doesn't say where you live, but where I live - even if ALL the wiring is brand new, the only way they can share a circuit is if they both have plugs and are plugged into an outlet wired under the sink.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
DIY staff

Dishwasher wiring

Not sure about your area but code here calls for a dedicated circuit for a dishwasher----
Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #6

Dishwasher wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Not sure about your area but code here calls for a dedicated circuit for a dishwasher----
The instructions I've read that come with the units, say it needs a dedicated circuit.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote