Dishwasher Tripping GFCI Outlets - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Dishwasher Tripping GFCI outlets

A couple weeks ago my dishwasher started tripping the GFCI outlet under the sink, using an extension cord, also tripped GFCI outlets next to sink. Brought in appliance repair guys several times, and they replaced control panel, still tripped the circuit. He believes there is nothing wrong with dishwasher. So I ran extension cord from dishwasher to bathroom GFCI outlets, no problems, next I ran to another separate circuit in the house with no problems.

The bottom line is that the dishwasher will blow all GFCI outlets on the one circuit, but works on all other circuits. Am assuming there is a problem with that circuit or one of the outlets.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thank You

Advertisement

Mikedks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Is this a portable unit, or permanent? If later, who told you that it needed to be GCFI protected? If all the GCFI's on the same circuit are tripping, I would have an electrician check it out. They make testers specifically that allow testing of ACFI & GCFI protected outlets.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #3

It is a permanent unit, been working fine for the last 4 years. Am not assuming it should be on a GFCI outlet, only that it is on one and apparently all the others on that circuit.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

The dishwasher should be on its own circuit.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The dishwasher should be on its own circuit.
In a perfect world, yes. New installations as well. But many older homes have grandfathered electrical systems not up to current code.

Mikedks, where is this dishwasher receptacle located, under the sink or behind the dishwasher?

What I would do is press the "TEST" button on the GFCI, then I would go around to every other receptacle in the kitchen and make sure they are still on. If they are all still on, that ensures that the GFCI behind the dishwasher is not protecting any other receptacle. Knowing that, you can just change out the GFCI for a normal duplex receptacle to avoid any further nuisance tripping.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
In a perfect world, yes. New installations as well. But many older homes have grandfathered electrical systems not up to current code.

Mikedks, where is this dishwasher receptacle located, under the sink or behind the dishwasher?

What I would do is press the "TEST" button on the GFCI, then I would go around to every other receptacle in the kitchen and make sure they are still on. If they are all still on, that ensures that the GFCI behind the dishwasher is not protecting any other receptacle. Knowing that, you can just change out the GFCI for a normal duplex receptacle to avoid any further nuisance tripping.
The receptacle is located under the sink, and yes, it is definitely not on a dedicated circuit. But then again, the home is 40+ years old. From past experience with an electrician, I know you need GFCI by the sink, but what
about under the sink?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Not really, unless local jurisdiction states that you do for the disposal if it plugs in. As for the DW, those are usually hardwired, with a standard breaker.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 822

Shame on the repair guys for changing the conrol panel rather than finding out why it,the gfi tripped. Did they charge you?
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Shame on the repair guys for changing the conrol panel rather than finding out why it,the gfi tripped. Did they charge you?
Is the pope catholic?, yeah they charged me.

To be honest, I really can't blame the appliance guy too much, who would
have thought it was the electric. The catch all for modern dishwashers apparently is the control panel, all else fails, replace it. All in all, would have been nice if he had made a gesture, anything would have been OK. Now its hard to recommend the guy.

At least I know my electrician's a good guy.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

You mention "all the GFCI outlets on the circuit", which leads me to believe you have multiple GFCIs on the circuit.

And since they all trip, that would tend to indicate they are wired in series, meaning the LOAD connection of the 1st is connected to the LINE of the 2nd, the LOAD of the second wired to the LINE of the first, etc.

Multiple GFCI in series this way are unnecessary and produce nuisance tripping.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by williswires View Post
You mention "all the GFCI outlets on the circuit", which leads me to believe you have multiple GFCIs on the circuit.

And since they all trip, that would tend to indicate they are wired in series, meaning the LOAD connection of the 1st is connected to the LINE of the 2nd, the LOAD of the second wired to the LINE of the first, etc.

Multiple GFCI in series this way are unnecessary and produce nuisance tripping.
The way I read it, he used an extension cord to try the DW on the different GFCI receptacles.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
The way I read it, he used an extension cord to try the DW on the different GFCI receptacles.
I read it that way too...and the OTHER GFCIs did not trip.

I believe the problem is in one of the GFCIs of this circuit, not with the dishwasher. The OP should use the same extension cord setup and plug it into one of the other GFCIs that were tripping with the dishwasher being on. It will probably trip as well, indicating a problem with this circuit.

Last edited by williswires; 07-25-2010 at 10:32 PM.
williswires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #13

Sorry if I was unclear; the circuit that the dishwasher is on, has 4 seperate GFCI outlets, one on either side of the kitchen sink, one under the sink, and one on the kitchen isle. With a heavy duty extension cord, I tried to run a DW cycle on each and every one of the outlets on the circuit. Each of the outlets tripped when the DW was running(when individually plugged into, not all at once). So I tried the DW on the closest GGCI outlet that was on a different circuit, that being the bathroom, no issues. Also ran the DW on another completely separate circuit with no GFCI, again no problems. Whenever I need to run the DW, I break out the ext. cord and run it to the microwave circuit, works like a charm. Am so happy to have DW back(after 3 wks w/o) that using extension cord ain't such a big deal.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedks View Post
when individually plugged into, not all at once
...oh, OK.

Advertisement