Dishwasher Makes Speakers Buzz - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 320

Dishwasher makes speakers buzz

Hello to all. I submitted this question before and the problem remains. When the dishwasher comes on my computer speakers make a terrible loud humming and buzzing noise. The speaker outlets are on their own circuit in my office. When I turn the volume down nothing changes. I have already gone through the main panel and made sure all screws are tight. I have not yet started the space heater, so it can’t be that.

Advertisement

Last edited by crescere; 11-21-2013 at 09:55 PM.
crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,398

Try putting a noise filter on the dishwasher. Its putting noise into the wiring system.

Advertisement

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Try putting a noise filter on the dishwasher. Its putting noise into the wiring system.

Is this a general part or something that is specific to my dishwasher? I have never heard of this.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

You have grounding issues. Somewhere you are floating a ground, either at the dishwasher, or on the circuit that you are plugged into, or could have poor grounding from the main panel or a sub panel if that circuit goes through a sub panel, to the ground rod.

Start by checking grounding from the ground rod, to the panel, then check all outlets for proper grounding, including the dishwasher.

How is the wire ran to the dishwasher from the main panel? How old is this electrical system in this place? Do you own or rent?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
Is this a general part or something that is specific to my dishwasher? I have never heard of this.
Name:  noise filter.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  6.4 KB

Name:  noise filter 2.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  5.7 KB

Name:  noise filter 3.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  2.5 KB

All after market accessories.

Make sure the current rating is correct.

And Yes, make sure it's properly grounded !
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

[QUOTE=gregzoll;1269988]You have grounding issues. QUOTE]

The cable runs up from the main panel in the basement to the dishwasher. The speakers in my office are two rooms over from the kitchen and on a different circuit.

This is all grounded new romex cable in this house.

So do I open every outlet and check the ground?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Yes you will, along with having an electrician verify you are properly grounded at the ground rod, along with proper resistance. The last part will cost you, but you really need to figure out why you have a Ground loop hum, which is being caused by the dishwasher.

Something got screwed up during the rewiring, either at the panel, or between the panel and the meter and the ground to Earth and Copper water pipe in the house, if required in your area.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
having an electrician verify you are properly grounded at the ground rod, along with proper resistance.
Can you tell me how to do that myself? I have a volt meter.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

Buy better speakers, sounds like you have poorly designed speakers..
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

Quote:
Yes you will, along with having an electrician verify you are properly grounded at the ground rod, along with proper resistance.
seriously?
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
Can you tell me how to do that myself? I have a volt meter.
You cannot. You have to have the right equipment, which means $$$ for someone to come and make sure you have proper resistance for Earth ground to the panel.

After thinking a little, do you speakers buzz if you plug a vacuum cleaner in on the same leg as the dishwasher? Also do they buzz if you take them next door to a neighbors house with your computer and try the equipment out over there with their dishwasher running?

If the speakers still buzz at another house, then your speakers are most likely at fault, not the dishwasher, but I still would not rule out the issue of having a grounding issue from the rewiring, which is allowing the Ground Loop hum to happen.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

There are Surge protectors and whole house panels, that will also do EMI/RFI Noise Rejection. What that means, is that they will not allow the line noise to get through the system, to cause hum, but still does not resolve the fact that a structure may still have other electrical circuit issues, that is leading to the cause of why you are getting EMI/RFI from one circuit to another.

What is the make & model of your speakers?
Old 11-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
plug a vacuum cleaner in on the same leg as the dishwasher? Also do they buzz if you take them next door to a neighbors house with your computer and try the equipment out over there with their dishwasher running?
They do not always do it when my dishwasher is on. But when they do it starts with a little hum that gradually becomes a very loud sputter where I have to disconnect the power to the speakers. This happens about two to three times a week, sometimes more often.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Bad cord, failing transformer, EMI/RFI getting into the electrical system from the dishwasher. Again, what is the make & model of those speakers.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Bad cord, failing transformer, EMI/RFI getting into the electrical system from the dishwasher. Again, what is the make & model of those speakers.
They are older Boston speakers from a prior computer

Advertisement