Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Amy

Share |

Dishwasher install

I'm removing a cabinet and installing a dishwasher I think I know what I'm doing but the electrical part of it is kind of scary any advice

mavalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Dishwasher install

Seriously, if you are genuinely scared by the electrical, hire someone to come do it. Or - go to the library, get online, start reading and learning until you feel comfortable.

Fear is not the right motivator for good electrical work.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Amy

Dishwasher install

I'm not saying I've never done electrical work befor just nothing like this where I have to add a circuit for the dishwasher
Old 04-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Dishwasher install

One question: Do you know what procedure you need for your permits?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #5

Dishwasher install

Its easy. Run a feed from the panel but make sure you size the wire correct. Install a plug behind the dishwasher. You have to also install a cord on the end of the dishwasher if it didn't come with one. Just be safe and make sure the power is off and doubt check your connections
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Amy

Dishwasher install

Not yet I was planning on looking into that tomorrow I know I have to have permits and such but was just trying to get some advice so when I do get that part together I would know what I was doing
Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Amy

Dishwasher install

Cool Thanks.... I'm just concerned it may be a little out of my league since the most I've ever done alone the lines of electrical is change lighting fixtures and such
Old 04-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #8

Dishwasher install

Here's the thing, and please understand that I'm not trying to be discouraging. If you're looking to just get this one project done, it's probably more value for your money to hire someone to do it. Sure you can read a few posts and take a shot at it. However, in order to truly understand what you're doing, the risks, and the appropriate things to do, you will need to spend a few hours here searching through old posts and asking questions. For the number of hours you will spend learning, it's probably better just to pay someone.

There are lots of things to consider. How are you going to get the feed from your panel to your outlet? Are you going to run a new circuit? If you run a new circuit, do you have space in your current panel? Are you comfortable working in a panel? Are you going to tap power from another outlet? Is it a GFCI outlet?

Regardless of which you choose, there are lots of people here to help.
finnimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #9

Dishwasher install

Take your time and get all the info before starting, if you have any electrician Buddy's ask them to help. Learn everything you can about electric, then tackle the job and be proud of yourself.

Just remember SAFETY FIRST at all times.

Watch out for minor details IE which way to install the wire under a screw, how to strip wire, wire size, breaker
size, stapling, connectors, etc.

Do not install it just by reading this forum.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #10

Dishwasher install

If you are only installing ONE dishwasher a permit would be a waste of money and time. An electrician would not pull one.
Just install a 20 amp single pole breaker in the panel. Run a 12/2 NM cable from the panel to the dishwasher. Connect the black wire in the cable to the breaker, connect the white to the neutral bar and the ground to the ground bar if present. If there is no ground bar (terminal strip) connect the ground where the nuetrals are connected. Bring the cable all the way to the junction box provided on the DW. Here you just hook up black to black and white to white and the ground to the box itself.

It will be much easier to hard wire this DW, than trying to use a cord and plug arrangement.

If you plan to install a garbage disposal nearby, run a 12/3 NM cable. We can then explain how to use it.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #11

Dishwasher install

Quote:
Install a plug behind the dishwasher.

GAH!!!

NEVER install the DW recep BEHIND the DW. Troublesooting a DW circuit becomes much more difficult when you have to pull out the DW just to test power. I had to do this last week and I was CUSSING the idiot who installed it.

Install it under the sink where it's accessible and run the pigtail thru the cabinet.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #12

Dishwasher install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
GAH!!!

NEVER install the DW recep BEHIND the DW. Troublesooting a DW circuit becomes much more difficult when you have to pull out the DW just to test power. I had to do this last week and I was CUSSING the idiot who installed it.

Install it under the sink where it's accessible and run the pigtail thru the cabinet.

Oh stop being a baby
Old 04-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #13

Dishwasher install

Stop making my job more difficult than it has to be

Job: tshoot power to DW.

1. Open sink base door, unplug DW and stick wiggy in. 20 seconds.

or

2. Empty DW, locate and remove countertop screws, remove kick cover plate, find no accessible jb in that little 3" space but I do find that there is no tile under DW and the legs must be adjusted up a half inch @ an 1/8 turn at a time, try to pull out DW and find the water supply is too short, disconnect it and put a pan under the worn out angle valve to catch the dripping water, test power and reinstall. 20 minutes.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #14

Dishwasher install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Stop making my job more difficult than it has to be

Job: tshoot power to DW.

1. Open sink base door, unplug DW and stick wiggy in. 20 seconds.

or

2. Empty DW, locate and remove countertop screws, remove kick cover plate, find no accessible jb in that little 3" space but I do find that there is no tile under DW and the legs must be adjusted up a half inch @ an 1/8 turn at a time, try to pull out DW and find the water supply is too short, disconnect it and put a pan under the worn out angle valve to catch the dripping water, test power and reinstall. 20 minutes.

Well if you took the front plate off you will notice that the jbox for the DW where the cord goes to is right there. So you can test power there. If you have no power there go to the breaker.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #15

Dishwasher install

That is generally the case but, when I pulled the plate....no jb.

Turns out that this was the only DW I have seen with a factory cord and the JB was nowhere to be seen.

Still, Don't do it