Dishwasher Electrical Wire - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
feb

Rewards Points: 10

dishwasher electrical wire

I bought a new dishwasher and ofcourse the electrical wire did not come with it. I went to lowes and bought an electrical wire for home appliances. The wire has no white and black wires - - only two blacks and a green. How do I know which wire to connect to the black and which to the white?

FEB

Advertisement

feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Feb,

The wire you bought will work providing it is the right gauge. However, I would go and buy some NMD7-2 12 gauge (black, white and bare ground) even it it were just to conform to code.

Advertisement

'Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
feb

I don't have it in front of me but I think it is a 15 amp 12ga for appliance replacement. One of the wire is rough and one is smooth.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

feb has a good point. Wire is generally marked in some way to be able to tell it apart even if the insulation is the same color. A stripe, rouch and smooth slight color change in the wire itself. Something. Look closely. And as 'Andy said be sure the sire is the right guage for your appliance.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,306

Does this wire come with a plug? Did you have a dishwasher before? If you had one before, the wire should still be there. If so, then you just connect the wires to the junction box in front of the dishwasher. If you did not have one before, then you will need a new circuit from your panel to hook up the dishwasher. It sounds like the cord you have is a replacement cord.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
feb

I gave my old dishwasher to my son. I let him have it with all the hookups - wire included. the new wire has a plug as did the old one. It is not hardwired, it is a plugin to the wall.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Does the plug match the outlet? One of the black wires should have a stripe on it. Are you located in the US?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

After rereading your post and looking at lowes I see what you may have purchased. If it is like you say, one side smooth and one side ribbed, then the ribbed side will go to the white wire, and the smooth side will go to the black wire The cord is described as being only 3 feet long, and is used for a disposal. Is this the cord youo bought?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
feb

I saw what you were looking at and mine looks to be the same ( I am not at home at the moment) except that mine is 6' long. The guy in the appliance dept told me that was the right cord and it didn't matter which wire went to the black (because it is alternating current:confused: )as long as the ground was hooked up. Is that correct?

feb
Old 11-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb
I saw what you were looking at and mine looks to be the same ( I am not at home at the moment) except that mine is 6' long. The guy in the appliance dept told me that was the right cord and it didn't matter which wire went to the black (because it is alternating current:confused: )as long as the ground was hooked up. Is that correct?

feb
No. Go smack that guy.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

I agree with hammer... Go slap the guy. If you listen to him, you can get yourself hurt!!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
feb

Ok, the cord I bought for the dishwasher is as follows:

13A
125V
1625W

This cord is about 3' short because with the new cabinets, the dishwasher had to be moved over 2ft. I bought an extension cord with the following:

15A
125V
1875W

Is this ok to run it like that. I can't find a replacement cord that is the length I need. I would have to buy an extension cord and cut it the length I need.

Thanks,
Feb.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #13
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Do NOT use an extension cord.
A dishwasher requires a dedicated circuit. Codes usually require a 15 amp breaker with 14/2-with-ground wiring, but I always recommend going with a 20 amp circuit and 12/2 in case anyone ever wanted to install a heavy-duty dw, if anyone is wiring from scratch.
As you've already been advised, if it's on a 15 amp breaker, get either an adequate length of at least 14/2wg or better yet, 12/2wg (black=hot, white=neutral, bare/green=ground) and wire it properly with a solid wire from the dw to the plug.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #14

can someone confirm the ribbed side of the appliance cord goes to the white wire
shaneonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,058

On any flat cord, 2 or 3 wire, the ribbed side is always the neutral.

On a recpacle, the larger slot is always neutral. If it's installed with the ground pin down, the neutral is on the left. Ground up, it's on the right. Now, hold the cord like it's about to be plugged in, you'll notice the ribbed side is on the neutral side.

On a 2 wire cord, you'll notice the ribbed side is on same side as the thicker prong. It can only be inserted into a recpacle one way; with the ribbed side in the neutral slot.

Rob

Advertisement

micromind is offline   Reply With Quote